Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 9322 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think every forum needs a thread dedicated to the other things going on in life! This is dedicated just like the title shows ask a random question (about anything) or just rant about something that has happened/happening.

Enjoy

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I've actually really wanted a thread like this. I keep having mini rants and raves about Gyp that don't warrant a whole thread.

Rave

Yesterday, Gyp and I took a leashed walk in our neighborhood. We have these ponds at the neighborhood entrance, so I let her off leash there to frolic around a bit. She dove in and swam to the center to play in the huge fountain. This is a dog that, a year ago, was uncomfortable stepping in a puddle. Sometime this summer she discovered a love of swimming. I don't know how! She's been swimming in our creek, but this is the first time I've seen her swim elsewhere. Over and over yesterday, she dove in and swam around in the pond. I didn't even have to throw a ball.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Rave

We're meeting our foster dog this evening. I'm equal parts excited and nervous. It's kind of ironic that we're fostering exactly the sort of dog I was looking for when we found Sam. Talk about karma! I'm hoping we love him, but not so much that we foster fail. I'm also hoping that he and Sam get along great and have fun playing together. Mostly, I'm just hoping we all survive the experience of two 100lb+ dogs (Sam is at 73 now, so it's not that far off) in our house!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I saw Gravity this weekend and feel I am In the minority when I say....I thought it kind of sucked. I just don't understand what the hype was about! I am such an easy pleaser in movies and this just wasn't all that good of a movie. For those who saw it and thought it was good could you explain what it was hat made it so wonderful? It seems like everyone is claiming this is the greatest movie ever and I just can't understand why.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to get a new lens for my camera. Just looking at the 35mm 1.8 since I am new to photography is there a good time of year when camera stuff goes on sale? Does Black Friday have deals or anything or most usually the same year round?

On B&H they are out of domestic and only have imported (short warranty) is there a wAy on amazon to tell which one you are buying?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Haha that gives me hope! Our puppy doesn't handle being wet so well either! Some lab mix he is. Hopefully he will do better next summer.

Lol! Don't feel so all alone .... Cookie won't go out in the rain to go potty. I have to keep her under the overhang of the garage in the drive. :/

·
Registered
241 Posts
Random Story

Yesterday we took Atlas to the park earlier than usual for a weekday, because we wanted to give him some exercise before his vet appointment (annual check up/renewing vaccinations). He is scared of strangers and we thought exercising him beforehand would help calm his anxiety.

We met a large dog while we were there and they played for a few minutes, and the other dog led Atlas over to a HUGE mud puddle over by the baseball dugout. Atlas proceeded to dig in the puddle, splash around, get full-on zoomies around the entire baseball field, and then frolic back to the puddle. He was covered in mud and we had about 25 minutes to walk home and get him in an acceptable state of cleanliness to go to the vet. It was really funny, and we were able to clean him up in time, so no harm done.

Of course he freaked out at the vet having random people touching/holding him. Didn't react at all to the temperature taking or the shots, but HATED the vet in his face looking at his teeth/eyes/ears. He was panicked, which makes me feel bad. Good think it's only once a year (good health permitting).

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
My parents husky / shepherd mix, Yumi keeps trying to pick fights with Josefina and only Josefina ... but she is being very good at avoiding confrontation and problems.

While my parents were caring for my then ill grandma, I stayed here a lot by myself, I separated them when I couldn't be out there to watch them. But now that my parents are back, they won't allow me to separate them now, they say its cruel to Yumi (Ok, so having to break up fights isn't?) and that she likes the company of the other dogs (she doesn't) but they wont listen to me and then end up blaming Josefina for any squabbles that might occur, because Yumi isn't good at fighting (she's good at starting fights though :/ ) and usually ends up being the victim.

I need to find another home for her soon ... I have been dragging my arse too long (years LOL LOL) she was taken in as a puppy and was originally supposed to be a foster.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Rant.

Tonight at the dog park some old hag hit Moose in the face with a cigarette. I found this out because I saw this person chasing after him with her hands that I'm sure wreaked of smoke thrashing around in an attempt to grab his face. When I approached her to see what her deal was she explained that his face ran straight into her cigarette.

Great. Because the dog park seems like a really suitable place to be walking around with a lit cigarette hanging at your waist.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Rant.

Tonight at the dog park some old hag hit Moose in the face with a cigarette. I found this out because I saw this person chasing after him with her hands that I'm sure wreaked of smoke thrashing around in an attempt to grab his face. When I approached her to see what her deal was she explained that his face ran straight into her cigarette.

Great. Because the dog park seems like a really suitable place to be walking around with a lit cigarette hanging at your waist.

Shoot! :( I would have been pretty mad about that one. You're not even allowed to smoke near the dog park where I live and for good reason... though sometimes I see the butts on the ground and shake my head. I'm sorry that happened to your dog!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Shoot! :( I would have been pretty mad about that one. You're not even allowed to smoke near the dog park where I live and for good reason... though sometimes I see the butts on the ground and shake my head. I'm sorry that happened to your dog!
Thank you. Yeah it sucked, but he seemed most bothered by the after math of her chasing after him trying to grab his face with her hands.

·
Registered
101 Posts
People should mind their own business. I'm brushing it off assuming they maybe "meant well" rather than taking as them just being rude... That and they were like 70 years old. Today we were at Petsmart with our dog who was neutered a couple of days ago. He had a cone on his head to stop him from licking. So we're in line to check out and this lady behind me says to her husband, "That dog is wearing a cone. That means he JUST got out of surgery. He's not supposed to be here." Her husband proceeds to squeak a toy at my dog because he 'feels sorry for him because I brought him into the store.' They then SWITCHED LINES to get away from us and continued to bitch about how I brought him in. I'm still irritated at that bullshit because my dog is not in pain, he is also in full control by me and not going to hurt himself or be hurt by another animal. Also we had him in the store for maybe five minutes to grab a couple of things, we didn't run him hard for an hour. Not to mention, he could have been wearing the cone for a million other reasons so it was ignorant to make assumptions. Rude much. Besides this our dog is a BALL of energy. Need I remind you all that a neuter is NOT a major surgery and if the dog is in NO pain and wants to run around, then he obviously isn't suffering due to us taking him to the store for five minutes.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you didn't open those rocketfish items - send them back ... you need to install quality filters on your lenses ... some may even say you don't need UV filters on your lenses but I find it much easier to clean the UV filters then the lens itself.
What is wrong with them? And the uv is more protective because of easier cleaning than functionality like you mentioned.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
What is wrong with them? And the uv is more protective because of easier cleaning than functionality like you mentioned.

My Nikon Lenses have Canon UV filters on them (hows that for an oxymoron) but I never got around to putting a UV on my Tokina lens.

In general, the more "stuff" you have between your lenses and the object, the more the image is degraded. Higher quality filters degrade the image less or not at all. I have no experience with rocketfish products but they may be a decent product. Typically Hoya and Tiffen are the "entry level" filters where B&W and Heliopan are considered "upper level".

I don't know how much you paid for them but if they were cheap then stick with them and if you need to upgrade them do so at a later date. If you paid a lot for them my advice would be to buy a better quality filter so you don't have to buy them twice IF they don't last.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll probably just hold on to them for now. Thanks for the heads up though!

I'm super beginner but they seem to be decently built. Didn't know rocketfish went to camera gear though. I am excited to try out the new lens. Need to get used to the infinity turning on manual focus! Hopefully will be able to walk around with it this weekend and get some shots.

Tips welcome! Have a thread around that is mainly for tips and stuff for me so let me know! It's jolts photography adventure or domething

1 - 20 of 9322 Posts