Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought based on all the ?'s I'm going to have if any of you are so kind as to be able to help me with my journey it would be kindly appreciated. That being said I wanted to say thank you for your time.

Got the dog today. He growled when I took a hot dog from him. I told him no. He is going crazy bezerk when being on the leash. I tried it twice. No walking no way. I'm open to suggestions. He starts yelping and pulling crazily. That being said I'm getting ready to let him out 3rd time and see how he does. He also had his ears cropped and pulled a stitch out today.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I'd probably growl too if you took something I highly valued from me. Why would you take the hot dog from him? What did you offer up in replacement? Are you teaching him to drop it or what was the purpose of doing it..?

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
So you got a brand new dog and decided taking a hot dog away from a strange dog was a plan. Keep that up and you may need an ambulance. At the very least with new dogs you want to give hot dogs for friendship not take hot dogs. I'm Just Sayin'... and I'm gone.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You say you are open to suggestions, but you have yet to take any.

If I'm following all your threads correctly, you were advised:

a) That your budget would not allow you to buy a high quality dog. But you bought a "budget-friendly" Cane Corso anyway, from a BYB.
b) That a Cane Corso was probably not a good dog for you - but you bought one anyway.

And now you have no idea why the dog growled at you for taking food away from him and you have no idea how to fix that? And don't understand that saying NO is meaningless to a dog?

You are proving everyone's original points.

Try reading the stickies on this site and get yourself and the dog to training classes.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I would find a dog trainer who uses positive methods and start shelling out for private sessions immediately. Sounds like you both need to be trained.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
You say you are open to suggestions, but you have yet to take any.

If I'm following all your threads correctly, you were advised:

a) That your budget would not allow you to buy a high quality dog. But you bought a "budget-friendly" Cane Corso anyway, from a BYB.
b) That a Cane Corso was probably not a good dog for you - but you bought one anyway.

And now you have no idea why the dog growled at you for taking food away from him and you have no idea how to fix that? And don't understand that saying NO is meaningless to a dog?

You are proving everyone's original points.

Try reading the stickies on this site and get yourself and the dog to training classes.
Not to mention that the OP also ignored people cautioning him that a CC would require more than the 30 minutes of exercise per day that he can provide, and that it won't be the good "guard dog" he wants (and trustworthy with his teen son and 10-year-old daughter) if not trained properly. The OP also seems to start a new thread any time someone brings these things up in his old ones.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The hot dog was left over because the boxer mix that I've had isn't used to being crated... tore off a piece of hot dog to make her like crate more thinking she gets a treat when she's in there... she evidentally didn't eat the hot dog piece is how the cc pup got it. I didn't know what he was eating when I saw him it almost looked like vomit or something he had chewed it but not swallowed it that's when I picked it up and he growled.

He's also doing MUCH better on leash today took for several walks still some resistance but nothing like at first anyway.

I'm wondering should I feed the 2 dogs together (same time) also what about bowls? Separate bowls or same bowl?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Feed with different bowls in different rooms. Do not let them have access to eachother's food.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well, why don't you tell us, since what we say is ignored totally by you. There are (again) all kinds of stickies and thousands of posts that answer this question.

I would assume you believe that the advantage of using one bowl is that you only one to wash?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I'm wondering should I feed the 2 dogs together (same time) also what about bowls? Separate bowls or same bowl?
Our trainer actually recommends no bowls, and making pups work for their food by getting it out of a food dispensing toy (kong, ball, etc...) or scattering it around the room and make them find the pieces. She feels it keeps them occupied and thinking longer, and that means staying out of trouble, and it also makes them learn that they have to "work" to earn their food.

That said, I'm kind of waiting for Ashton Kutcher to pop into this thread to tell us we've been punked.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Our trainer actually recommends no bowls, and making pups work for their food by getting it out of a food dispensing toy (kong, ball, etc...) or scattering it around the room and make them find the pieces. She feels it keeps them occupied and thinking longer, and that means staying out of trouble, and it also makes them learn that they have to "work" to earn their food.

That said, I'm kind of waiting for Ashton Kutcher to pop into this thread to tell us we've been punked.
I really wish that was the case as I am ready to cry at someone like this owning one of my wonderful breed :( OMG There is no one way you did even one tiny bit of research on the corso let alone dogs in general. :( This whole situation is going to turn out badly, for the dogs as a certainty.

·
Registered
705 Posts

I agree with this, but not in this particular situation at this particular time. This would be ideal in this situation only as long as the dogs are separated without the ability to go after one another's food/toys. If the OP worked on commands with both these dogs for their meals I would agree completely. But I'm getting this feeling that that is not the case. :(

·
Registered
547 Posts
For real. At least we can hope, because otherwise this will not end well for the poor dog.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Bottom line, this person will not read let alone take the advice you've all given. No point in wasting your breath, until they answer your questions and such :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dog was born 2Jan of this year. I don't have pics up yet but will have some pics or video up soon.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts