Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in an apartment complex at the intersection of two busy roads. This is a college area, right down the road from the state university, and these two college aged girls live in the building right next to the four lane road. They have two young dogs (probably less than a year old) that they constantly take out off leash. There is a city leash law and the apartment complex also requires dogs to be leashed. I've called the office twice about these girls and their dogs and they say they've put a note on their door about it both times, but this morning they were out off leash AGAIN. These dogs don't have good recall and they have run up to other leashed dogs and random people before. What can I do to make them see sense before one or both of their dogs gets killed?? I walked right by them this morning and I was about bursting to start ranting my head off at them, but I prefer to avoid confrontation. I just don't want to see those dogs hurt. They're freaking adorable and I'd take them in myself before I'd see them go to the pound, which is what I'm afraid might happen if I keep calling the office.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I've tried reasoning with such people and I've tried ranting at them too. Neither worked. People seem to need to learn from their own mistakes rather than learn from others. *shrugs*

·
Registered
339 Posts
Maybe you do have to give them a good yelling. They seem young and naive to let their dogs roam freely like that (also breaking leash laws). Sometimes it either takes a good scolding or a really bad accident for people to get their butts in gear unfortunately... You can be sneaky and take one of the dogs for a day or two, and have it go "missing", and then return it to them and say you found it wandering into a dangerous area and didn't feel safe letting it wander. But that's to say that they are irresponsible enough to not watch their dogs when they are off-leash. If you really fear for their safety, I would keep calling the office, despite the fact that they might be taken away from the girls. Even if the pups go to the pound, they will get adopted right away, cute dogs always do, lol. At least you know they will be adopted by a family that gives a damn about the dogs' safety and the rules of the city.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They do watch their dogs and at least try to keep them out of trouble and out of peoples way, but the dogs dont listen very well. Since they do watch their dogs the "lost and found" thing wouldn't really work. I will try to pluck up the courage to give them a good rant next time I run in to them and hope that helps. The main reason I want to avoid it tough is because one of the girls I see all the time and is friends with a friend of my fiancé. But honestly I don't care what they think of me, I just hate when things get awkward.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
College kids aren't going to listen at this point, because nothing that happens will be 'permanent.' If you rant, it will upset you, and they will learn to avoid you (+P training :) )

Consider if you had 4 tough young men walking with 2 Pit bulls off-leash (just to profile for the moment ...:) ) I imagine that you wouldn't try to change their mind (you might call someone else...). I believe that you'll have just as much success trying to educate these college girls ....

Duke or UNC ?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Neither - NC State. I'm a college girl too, though. Same college. College aged people have the ability to be smart and responsible so I see that as no excuse.

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
Honestly? I'd call animal control and report them. Usually they'll get a hefty fine before the animals get seized, at least that is what happens here. Maybe hitting them in the pocket book will work where notes fail.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don't think that's being too mean? =/ I can give that a try I guess...

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
College kids aren't going to listen at this point, because nothing that happens will be 'permanent.' If you rant, it will upset you, and they will learn to avoid you (+P training :) )
Please don't generalize... I'm a college student with a perfectly well trained dog and I will listen to reasonable advice. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Please don't generalize... I'm a college student with a perfectly well trained dog and I will listen to reasonable advice. :)
Agreed--though there are certainly thick-headed college students, there are many thick-headed people settled into their careers, too. Technically, students should strive to be more willing to listen, as ideally they're where they are in their lives with the desire to learn. I know that's not always true, though.

Ranting likely won't work, though--they would be likely to just get offended and do nothing about it. See if you can get a police officer to have a little talk with them before ticketing them for breaking the leash law... that might well scare them straight.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have to agree not all college students are that way but there are some. I am a college student with a 3yr old and dogs and i know better but there are just some who don't and give most a bad name. I have to agree with the others, since they don't want to listen to the office there is a good chance they wont listen to anyone without any " hard core authority" aka police, animal control. If you want to try then sure as heck try! no hurt in trying either. But if they dont i would say sadly the only options i see them learning from and listening then would be
1) Call animal control: they will get fined ( i think out here they get fined so many times) then they will possibly take the dog
2)Call the police: if anything they will come talk to them about breaking the leash law, and if anything they may end up fining them and possibly calling AC themselves.

It stinks to think they may loose their dogs but, at the same time they are being irresponsible and their dogs could get hurt all because they don't seem to want to listen or care. It oculd be to they are those type of people that think " Well it wont happen to me/my dogs" :/

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
You asked if it was too mean to call animal control...better to be "mean" than see one or both dead or injured.

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
You asked if it was too mean to call animal control...better to be "mean" than see one or both dead or injured.
This. And, you've already tried the "nice" method of having the apartment management leave them notes, and it's clearly falling on deaf ears. Time to take it to the authorities, hopefully they'll realize how serious it is then.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
You can tell them this story if you want it is my own expiance of one of my dogs getting hit and killed. It may not make them leash there dogs but give them a warning of what can happen

About 8 years ago I had a black lab mix. her name was Abby. She was maybe one of the best dogs I have ever had temperament wise. She had crazy prey drive though and not the best recall. As usual I let her off her leash in the morning to run and get some energy out. Then a big yellow cat decides to make an appearance. Abby took off after the cat. I live right by a highway that is not usually busy but it was around lunch time and I should have known better. Abby ran right on the highway. I was calling her and calling her. I saw her come running back and then.....I hear screeching tires. Screeching tires of a semi. Next thing I see is my small 40lb dog being thrown in the air and killed on impact. It is around 7 years later and I am crying as I wright this. It will haunt me for the rest of my life with a whole bunch of "what if's".

So before you let your dog off-leash in a busy intersection of off leash or anywhere about it: Is my dog reliable enough? Will he/she come back when called? Do I want my dog to be killed and taken from me? If the answer is no then do the responsible thing and leash your dog. Do I let my dog off leash, yes. before I even DARE taking the leash off anymore I ask those ?'s. I do DAILY training with my dogs. if I see them start to act up and not come on me only saying come ONCE they are on a leash again and back to square one with them. I am not risking any more of my dogs being let off leash because of my ignorance. I lost a very good dog that day and do not want anyone else to go through the same things i dealt with and am still dealing with today.

·
Registered
496 Posts
This. And, you've already tried the "nice" method of having the apartment management leave them notes, and it's clearly falling on deaf ears. Time to take it to the authorities, hopefully they'll realize how serious it is then.
^^ with both. Like said too maybe a fine or dealing with the authorities may make them change their ways. I agree id rather be mean then see them dead, i couldnt take it knowing i could of done something but didnt want to be mean.

let us know what happens

·
Banned
158 Posts
I would talk to them!! That is the logical (to me) step between talking to the property managers and going to animal control. Well, in all honesty, I would have talked to them first - in the same way that I would deal with noise complaints - often it is MUCH better to talk to neighbors first, before involving anyone else. However, as the property company is already involved, just go talk to them! Not to "rant" (how would you respond if they came to talk to you about something and just ranted and raved at you!?) but to just say something. Mention that you see them off-leash a lot, and you are honestly concerned about them getting hurt. Ask if they know about the off-leash parks in your areas, or other training methods of building up recall. See what they say. If they are really blase about it, or rude to you, or blow you off, then I would tell them that you really don't want to start an issue with them, but you WILL call animal control because you think that the dogs should be safe. Still ignoring you? THEN you are well within social rights to call animal control about it.

And double check your local laws. "On-leash" can mean actually physically attached to the owner by a leash, short-leased but otherwise loose, or un-leashed, but under the owner's control.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did double check the leash law, and it says this: It is against the law for domesticated animals such as dogs and cats to run unrestrained within the City Limits. They must be confined to their guardian's property or walked on a leash. Guardians of dogs and cats can receive a misdemeanor citation for allowing their pets to run at large. (http://www.raleighnc.gov/safety/content/Police/Articles/Dogtethering.html)

Or, to read the actual law itself instead of a common-language translation:

Definitions first: RESTRAINT. An animal is under RESTRAINT within the meaning of this chapter if it is controlled by means of a chain, leash or other like device; on or within a vehicle being driven or parked; within a secure enclosure; or within the dwelling house of the owner. AT LARGE. Any animal shall be deemed to be AT LARGE when it is off the real property or premises of its owner and not under the restraint of a competent person. “Real property”, in this context, means curtilage and does not include public rights-of-way or easements.

91.07 (A) (1) It shall be unlawful for any owner to permit an animal to be at large.

(2) The Animal Control Section shall confiscate any animal found to be at large and impound it at the county animal shelter in accordance with §§ 91.50 through 91.58.

(http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/North%20Carolina/wakecounty_nc/wakecountynorthcarolinacodeofordinances?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:wakecounty_nc)

Now, curtilage means "an area of land attached to a house and forming one enclosure with it", but since the land outside of the apartment building is not owned by the two girls, and the apartment complex has it's own leash law echoing the leash law of the city, they are not following this law. Yes?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts