Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I'm thinking about getting Nubs Hips and elbows x-rayed here soon myself for weight pulling. What is a good thing to look for and to ask for in a vet? I have no clue where to start lol!

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
I'm thinking about getting Nubs Hips and elbows x-rayed here soon myself for weight pulling. What is a good thing to look for and to ask for in a vet? I have no clue where to start lol!
I would ask around with local breeders. Chances are there are there is a certain vet in your area that most prefer to use. That is going to be the vet you want.

There is an art to taking a good hip xray. They are not looking for an injury or broken bone. But rather a good picture of the hip ball joints and socket in a relaxed natural state.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Shaina, since you're doing this, could you shed some light on the actual process? What do Kim and Webster go through? You take them to the vet, who X-rays them... and sends the X-rays to OFA? Does the vet do anything else? Are the dogs sedated for the X-rays?
Our appt is next week but I'd be glad to.

The plan is to sedate them both...the stillness and positioning required to have the x-rays done according to OFA specifications is just too difficult to achieve otherwise...

In addition to breeders, you can ask any performance sport people that you know. Usually if there's someone really experienced and talented at this, word gets around. It's not something I would want my normal vet, great at they are with medical issues, to attempt because they just haven't done it enough.

This is a quick & easy general overview of the basics of positioning the dogs: http://leerburg.com/hipart.htm

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I would ask around with local breeders. Chances are there are there is a certain vet in your area that most prefer to use. That is going to be the vet you want.

There is an art to taking a good hip xray. They are not looking for an injury or broken bone. But rather a good picture of the hip ball joints and socket in a relaxed natural state.
Keep in mind however that 98% of the time it's the techs who are handling your dog and taking the x-rays. The vet is just the one who approves them or ask for more to be done. Then of-course they'll show off the x-rays to you and take all the credit for them :p

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Question...Butch has a luxating patella (on xray from injury) and Roxxy was just diagnosed (on exam). I don't use them for anything fun like agility, etc. but Butch is a big jumper (just because he can).

Would it be worth the money for me to have them both xrayed to see what the damage is right now? I worry about Butch because his is from an injury not just from an exam by the vet.

Suggestions and recommendations are wanted! ;)

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Keep in mind however that 98% of the time it's the techs who are handling your dog and taking the x-rays. The vet is just the one who approves them or ask for more to be done. Then of-course they'll show off the x-rays to you and take all the credit for them :p
Hey as long as it's done right I'm okay lol

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
How long does it take to get the results?
Vet can tell and show you how the hips look right after they xray them. The official results from OFA take a few weeks. My dogs films and vet reports were received at OFA two weeks ago today. I called and everything is still in process but should be posted by the end of the week.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.

Libby turns 2 in September and we are going to have her hips done as well. However, we have 3 options: The vet can take a peek and let us know what he thinks (Probably ~$200, the cost of the exam, sedation, and rads), or we can send them to OFA (~$500+, it's expensive in Canada!), or we can have them sent to Guelph (~$250). We will be picking the Guelph option, and if it comes back that she is dysplastic we will take it from there.

We have a contract with our breeder so if Libby is dysplastic, the breeder will compensate us. However, we also want to know for Agility and hunting reasons as well.
OH MY. Yes Canada expensive. I can have hips/elbows done for the cost of your vet to look at them. I've heard dog food is very expensive there too.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
We pay $75 for a large bag of EVO or Orijen.

Libby's spay was about $500.

Canada is darn expensive...

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
Well I guess it seems it takes about two weeks to find out the results. The breeder called them back today.

We got verbal confirmation of Merlin's OFA results today.
The letters went out to me today and the results should show on OFA's website by early next week.

Hips - Good
Elbows - Normal
Patellas - Normal
Cardiac - Normal

I already did his PRA when he was a puppy. He is a B

I am also sending off the Pawsative DNA kit that tests for all sorts of stuff.

I plan on doing the BAER testing next month.

I may have the CERF done this weekend.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Tomorrow's the big day...

If nothing else it should be fun. I took the whole day off, so we're leaving early and going to a couple places along the way.

I'm assuming with their being woozy afterward, they will just want to sleep and go home...

*keeping fingers crossed*

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Just got back...both dogs are still a bit woozy. Drank copious amounts of water and crashed...going to have to wake them up soon or all that water is going to come back to haunt me :p

Took about an hour from the time they went back until we left. A good portion of that time was waiting for Webster (who was second) to wake up and get his bearings before putting him in the car for the ride home. They were both drugged for the procedure, and have very very nicely trimmed nails :p

Preliminary assessment by the vet was that both dogs' hips look good. Kim's appear better than Webster's, but neither seem to be a cause for concern...we'll know more when I get my results back. Mailing in the x-rays tomorrow.

So far so good :)

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Well that is great news. I am sure it is a bit of a relief for you. Sad to think of Webster and Kim with a post procedure hang over though. lol I bet they are wondering where the bus that hit them was going. lol

·
Registered
246 Posts
Glad to hear that everyone is doing well. Best of luck on the results.

Any many thanks for the link to the hip x-ray article! Very educational.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Well, in case you guys are curious...I took some pics of their X-rays before sending them out so here you go...

Webster

Elbows:

Hips:

I guess this confirms once and for all that there's no little devil living in Web :p

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Kim

Elbows:

Hips:

Notice her tail's to the side..my theory is she was wagging it right up until they knocked her out :p

Anyway...anxiously awaiting results...mailed the whole thing out Thurs

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.