Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our first family dog about a month ago, he was 8 weeks old when we received him, and now is 12 weeks. When we brought him home he was a little smelly and constantly scratching himself, we thought maybe it was due to being around the other dogs. We bought dog shampoo from a pets store and bathed him, smelled better but still itched. Changed his diet to natural diet lamb W/brown rice. He gets about 1.5- 2 weeks then the odor comes back we have now bathed him 3 times. Cant seem to get him to stop itching its all the time, he also chews his back paws. He doesnt have flees, but has dandruff. Also sense receiving him me and my wife have devoloped a rash on our legs, he sleeps on the bottom of our bed, and we believe our rash is something from what ever he has. Please and idea, thoughts, suggestions, let me know.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is important that you determine the cause of the itching. It is still best to consult your vet.

There are several things you can do to ease your dogs itch while you try to figure out, with the help of your vet, what is causing the irritating itch.

1. Bathe the dog regularly in cool water. Warm or hot water will only make the itch worse. Soak for 5 to 10 minutes. Adding some Epsom salts, baking soda, or colloidal oatmeal (like Aveeno) to the water will increase the soothing effects. This will provide only a temporary relief lasting from a few hours to a few days. After the bath, pat the dog with a towel. Do not rub the skin, this will only increase the dogs itch. Do not use a hair dryer on a heat setting. A cool (no heat) setting would be okay. Heat and rubbing the dogs skin will increase your dogs itch, making the bath ineffective.

2.Fatty Acids, found in either marine oils or evening primrose oil, can be very effective in easing an itch. You can try giving one of these fatty acid supplements. It will take several weeks before the benefit will take effect, so they are for treating long term problems rather than an on-off irritation. You can find these at your local health food store.

3.Antihistamines can sometimes be effective with short term itches. For example; insect bites or a flare-up of hay fever. You can use an over the counter antihistamine such as clemastine (Tavist), chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton) or diphenhydramine (Benadryl). Be sure to consult your veterinarian first. Your vet will give you the proper dosage and tell you if this will be a good thing to try for your dogs problem.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/itchydog.htm

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Sassy used to stink, both breath and body odor. She is 15.5 years old now and when she started eating home cooked food nearly 2 years ago she stopped stinking. So much - she still stinks a little. I don't know why, more water? Less processed food? More fat? The canned food matching kibble of a brand is usually better quality food. The fat doesn't need to be removed and sprayed back on and canning requires less processing period. If you can try using it instead. You would need to introduce it same as changing kibbles, a bit at a time to avoid upset stomach.

Fish oil didn't help her itching but it is probably the most important supplement you can feed your dog. Add some and keep it up whether he stops itching or not.

The foot chewing sounds like a food or environmental allergy to me. Dogs can have flea allergy and you never ever see a flea. Put a wet white paper towel under his butt and give him a good scritch. In the debris if you see dark specks that dissolve reddish a flea landed, bit and pooped on your dog.

I tried all the antihistamines the vet suggested for the length of time suggested with her and had no improvement but a previous dog improved on simple Benadryl so it can work wonders. If it isn't fleas or food then I hope an antihistamine works.

Do the scritch test, add fish oil, go to the vet!

·
Registered
115 Posts
The fact that both you and your wife have developed rashes makes me wonder if it could be sarcoptic mange (scabies in humans). Does the dog's skin appear red/scaley? Is he losing hair?

You might want to take him in to the vet for a skin scrape, just to be safe. If it is sarcoptic mange, you'll want to treat it asap. It can get ugly pretty quickly, but is very easy and relatively cheap to treat.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Since you have mentioned that you and your wife are itchy too you could possibly be dealing with this....

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_sarcoptic_mange.html

You need to take your puppy to the vet and if the vet feels that this is a possibility than you need to see your doctor. A tech I work with contracted them from a dog he was restraining for an exam.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh god thats scary...
he is itching his ears, abdomen and elbows, his ear and elbow started bleeding today. Kinda looks like it could be the problem... thanks for the help any idea of what it takes to treat in dogs, and people? Im going to try to get him in the vet tomorrow.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It is treated with a class of drugs called Avermectins. In dogs, they generally use Ivermectin, unless its a shepherd, collie or mix of one or both. The dog will get it orally for a certain length of time. The vet will give you all that information. As for you and your wife, make sure you're wearing long pants when you're in public, because it can be transferred to other people. Make an appointment with your doctor. You'll most likely be treated with topical medications. Again, your doctor will give you all of that information.

for dogs:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_sarcoptic_mange.html (as previously posted by agility collie mom)

for people:

http://www.cdc.gov/scabies/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hes a Husky/Sheppard mix.. Im hoping what ever treatment he gets it help immediately as I cant bear to see him scratch himself anymore, He has been like this sense the day we brought him home, We were told numerous times it was a allergy but it just seems to be getting worse we havent had him that long, but just seeing him scratch spots so badly that he bleeds makes me upset. I tried doing different baths, fish oil, changing diet, and yet its worse. I did read that one link which said treatment was up to 4 weeks, Im guessing that means he will be scratching for another 4 weeks? The one site says its different then the human infection and needs a host, it says it will just go away. the other site I think is for a different kind of infection (human form)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
The tech that was infected went to the doctor and was given the cream to treat it. It did take care of the infection. Now I'm starting to itch just thinking about it!! lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I been reading and everything says the same thing you can put cream on to help with itching, but the infection cant live in humans and just dies. its my ankles and legs and the same for my wife which is how it starts and the puppy is scratching in the exact spots that it starts in. I think you guys nailed it with picking that as the problem. At first I thought that cant be the problem but the more I read the more I know that has to be it. Im just hoping the vet will agree and we can get this fixed fast. As I said I dont like watching him scratch and Im getting tired of it also.. guessing its so bad for me and my wife sense he sleeps on our bed at our feet.

·
Registered
179 Posts
We got our first family dog about a month ago, he was 8 weeks old when we received him, and now is 12 weeks. When we brought him home he was a little smelly and constantly scratching himself, we thought maybe it was due to being around the other dogs. We bought dog shampoo from a pets store and bathed him, smelled better but still itched. Changed his diet to natural diet lamb W/brown rice. He gets about 1.5- 2 weeks then the odor comes back we have now bathed him 3 times. Cant seem to get him to stop itching its all the time, he also chews his back paws. He doesn't have flees, but has dandruff. Also sense receiving him me and my wife have developed a rash on our legs, he sleeps on the bottom of our bed, and we believe our rash is something from what ever he has. Please and idea, thoughts, suggestions, let me know.
What your describing here are all the classic symptoms of Atopic Dermatitis (allergies). But I agree a skin scrape should be done to rule out mange mites. He made need a low dose of steroids to help calm the itching.

If you must bath the dog I highly recommend you try the Microtek shampoo and spray from EQyss.

This is the best shampoo and spray made specifically for itchy dogs that I have tried and I have tried a few. http://www.eqyss.com/pet_products.asp

Keep us posted on what you find out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im strongly believing its not allergies anymore, so far today he he's been scratching all morning, he cant go 5 min without scratching his body. I didnt sleep well last night as my legs continued to itch, and my wifes legs well she managed to scratch through skin. This affected us all, if it was allergies I couldnt imagine him scratching so bad and I dont think me and my wife would be affected by his allergies, unless maybe from his dander? either way my wife is going to be trying to get him to a vet hopefully in the morning the sooner the better, I will keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Im strongly believing its not allergies anymore, so far today he he's been scratching all morning, he cant go 5 min without scratching his body. I didn't sleep well last night as my legs continued to itch, and my wife's legs well she managed to scratch through skin. This affected us all, if it was allergies I couldn't imagine him scratching so bad and I don't think me and my wife would be affected by his allergies, unless maybe from his dander? either way my wife is going to be trying to get him to a vet hopefully in the morning the sooner the better, I will keep everyone updated.
I wouldn't completely rule out allergies just yet. The fact that you and your wife seem to be reacting to something is quite interesting in of itself. Flea allergy dermatitis is another possibility and one in which could trigger an allergic reaction in yourself. http://www.petplace.com/dogs/flea-allergy-dermatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

There are two different types of mange that can afflict dogs. Demodectic mange which is usually diagnosed fairly easily with a skin scrape. Sarcoptic mange is a little harder to diagnose and unless the vet knows what to look for a skin scrape can sometimes be mis-read. If Sarcoptic mange is suspected many times the animal is simply treated for it.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_sarcoptic_mange.html

Be sure to request a skin scrape if your vet doesn't offer one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back from the vet. they did a scrape test, didnt find anything but found what looks like eggs, the vet is very confident that is the problem and he is treating him for it. they said he might scratch worse for 24 hours while it kills the infection but should be itch free in about a week. I gave him a bath yesterday and he already smells again. Vet said its most likely caused by the infection, so all should be good.. Im going to cross my fingers.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Have you and your wife been to the doctor? Hope everyone is clearing up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well about a week after being to the vet and being treated for the mites hes rarely scratching, no more dandruff, me and my wife haven't been itchy anymore either.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I'm so glad to hear that all of you are feeling better!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts