Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New foster dog Duncan became comfortable enough to try and play with me last night. Unfortunately his play method of choice was to start mouthing on me which I can't encourage in a foster dog with a bite history. So I grabbed the closest toy/chew which was a deer antler and presented it to him. He took it and chewed on it and all was well.

It gets odd with how he positioned himself as he chewed on the antler. He was pretty much in a play bow, front legs flat on the floor and bent at the 'elbow,' holding the antler with his paws, but his back legs were locked with his butt up in the air. He chewed on the antler for about 10 minutes and adjusted a few times to move a bit closer to me or turn a bit to move his body in reach for me to pet him some more as he chewed. The entire time he was in this play bow like position. In retrospect I remember he did the same thing on Sunday afternoon when a neighbor gave him a piece of chicken jerky. We chuckled a bit about his butt up in the air as he nibbled on the jerky but it only lasted 20-30 seconds while he ate the jerky so I didn't think more of it.

Could this be a potential health issue or just an odd quirk? He lays down normally to rest and sleep so I'm leading towards quirk. Just the idea of remaining in that position for about 10 minutes seems uncomfortable to me. *shrug*

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Kabota does that- if he's still in the mood to play. If he's no longer in the mood to play and just wants to chew for a bit, his butt is on the ground. If his butt is up, I know I can grab the toy and throw it for him or play tug with it. (Well, I can do it either way, but he won't respond if his butt is on the floor.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts