Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past two nights, Bailey has woken up from a dead sleep howling and growling. He runs right to the door so I'm wondering if he heard something that woke him. The odd thing is that he never barks when someone comes to the door during his "awake" hours. He woke up barking/howling once or twice when he was really young, but it happened twice last night and once the night before.

I'm just a little worried that something may be wrong with him! Anyone ever experience something similar?

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Well heck, I've done that myself and some people think I'm perfectly normal. :p

It's likely he is reacting as your suggested or possibly reacting to a dream?

If he's acting normal otherwise I wouldn't be too worried about it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought maybe he was reacting to a dream but he completely jumps up, runs to the door and pretty much freaks out. I usually just pick him up and hold him to calm him down. He is acting fine otherwise, but it scares the crap out of me to be woken up this way in the middle of the night! LOL.

I'm also wondering if he's in "protection mode" when he knows I'm sleeping?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can empathize with you, although its become such a common occurrence at my house I have learned to sleep through it. I think a lot of times they hear something outside the house (possums, racoons, cats, etc) that I cannot hear. It sure can be alarming though when at 3am my two dogs wake up, run to the window and start going crazy. Maybe you have some outside nocturnal visitors like me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes sense although I live in a city high-rise...maybe he's just hearing my neighbors. I'm hoping it's that and not anything worse, like mice! I'm just curious since it's been happening pretty regularly the past few nights. I wish I could just ask him ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts