Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went up to the Dallas area for spring break to check out UNT and to visit my boyfriend. And of course to see his awesome Border Collie, Angus, the silliest ten year old I've ever met.

For one, he's almost all white except for his ears which are a dark brown. It's like the rest of his fur forgot to darken lol. But that's not a personality thing and I'm getting off topic already.

Every morning he gets his biscuit and they put three greenish pills on top of it (joint supplements, not sure what brand) rather than hide the medicine. The first day, with a new audience, he barked several times, like it would make the pills disappear. He gave up after less than a minute (he's not a very vocal dog) and took the biscuit and went off to pout. He went back on his own and ate the pills later.

I just think it's funny that he not only willingly takes the pills but saves them for last. Probably wants his dessert first though!

Maybe it's just his age but he seemed satisfied with one walk and going to the dog park. Or maybe he's just a low-energy individual compared to the rest of his breed? At the park he pretty much just sniffed, said hi to the other dogs and followed us around. One way to get him running was to suddenly change direction; he liked to stay in front of us and turn back and check on us every few feet.

We saw two greyhounds there. I was struck by their height. I didn't realize how tall they were. That is a definitely a breed that is better in person!

The only other thing I thought was weird was Angus likes to lick. When my boyfriend comes down to see me, Angus almost always goes (or stays up with his parents) despite slight anxiety when it comes to new places. Fritz, a dachshund he stays with, has his ears cleaned by Angus. It's almost obsessive. Like, if Angus stops, Fritz will bark at him until he continues. And Angus will do this for upwards of thirty minutes.

And up in Dallas, Angus actually left a wet spot on the couch from licking so much. Is this just a quirk or a behavior to be worried about? He's a great dog with a high tolerance for small kid's clumsiness, so I wouldn't want him to be stressed or anything.

I'm sure this post had a purpose guys, sorry if it's a bit rambly.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
At 10 yo dog may not want to socialize. Also, it's been hot in the Dallas area, so dogs are 'tired' before they even get to the dog park.

The licking doesn't sounds like an issue. It can be a friendly thing, it can be related to a previous smell, and in the case of the Dox... the Dox may have a minor ear infection that Angus smells and tries to help with (If you smell the Dox's ears and they smell bad then it probably has an infection like yeast or bacteria).

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is true, I didn't think of the weather. That seems pretty obvious now. Although my boyfriend mentioned it was weird because Angus usually plays more. Maybe it was an off day?

Hmm next time I go over and visit Fritz I'll have to sneak a peak at his ears if he'll let me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts