Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So training is going great with Lola, have been using a clicker, thank god for whoever invented clicker training :p!

So despite the progress we're making I am still concerned. The reason for this is an odd behavior she exhibits whenever she is on her back or when she refuses to be on her back. Its hard to explain (since its so odd) but whenever she is on her back( for any reason) she enters this state we have come to call her "attack mode". She will not let you anywhere near her, if you come close she nips at your fingers, and puts both front paws in front of her face outstretched in an "x" shape. One of the other odd things about it is that every once in awhile, she will lick in stead of nip almost as if she's confused. Also she is very resistant to being on her back in the first place and refuses to be even on her side. Even when we are playing she doesn't want anything to do with being on her back. Im worried that i'll never be able to experience the fun of just having her sit on her back or side and me scratching her belly or petting her:(. This whole situation pretty much rules out the whole "roll over" trick too. So im just looking for some opinions, feedback and I really hope its not a form of serious behavioral issues.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Sounds normal and sounds like she's trying to play. If you watch dogs play they will sometimes end up on their backs and will nip at the dogs on top of them. It's fairly common behavior IMO, but I'm no dog expert and I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You're right that dogs in this position are conflicted....it's a very submissive/vulnerable position; it's a play thing (practicing the life skills of domination/submission) and with time and patience.....belly rubs, that can be wonderful.
A bigger part of this whole thing is grooming which requires that she 'submit' to all necessary handling, cleaning, brushing and trimming. That starts with just touching/handling one paw at a time, one ear at a time, etc. making it all pleasurable.
For dogs that resist these attempts.....peanut butter spread on the wall (tile) works great...let them lick it while you handle the body parts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice tooney I really appreciate it. I have been working on the ears and paws especially(she hates nail cutting!)Slightly off topic, but as for the brushing I was wondering how often and what kind of brush to use. She has a short coat with almost no noticable shedding. Also how should I approach her first brushing?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Alot of folks like the curry brush (just like the horse curry brush).
I've always approached grooming slowly.....made it very rewarding as I've only had one dog that loved grooming from day one as a puppy. I usually had a handful of treats and let them nibble away.....the other hand gives a couple of brush strokes...just a couple and I start near the base of the tail....most dogs like a good rump scratch. Repeat later in the day. Next day, 3-4 strokes. You get the idea.
Depending on your dog you might get more brushing done before encountering some resistance.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Its hard to explain (since its so odd) but whenever she is on her back( for any reason) she enters this state we have come to call her "attack mode". She will not let you anywhere near her, if you come close she nips at your fingers, and puts both front paws in front of her face outstretched in an "x" shape. One of the other odd things about it is that every once in awhile, she will lick in stead of nip almost as if she's confused. Also she is very resistant to being on her back in the first place and refuses to be even on her side.
My dog was the same way as a pup, and at 3 years old, he still gets playful and mouthy when on his back. He does a lot of swatting with his paws. When he was a squirt, he was pretty wild about anything having to do with grooming, and especially if he had to be on his side or back to do it. It can take time to develop the trust required for the dog let you put him in such a vulnerable position.

These days, it's just play.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts