Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallie has been raised with cats and she loves her cat brothers and sisters, she eats with them and even plays with them. We've never had an issue concerning the cats until just recently. Hallie is 1 years old and she graduated from sleeping in her crate all night to sleeping with me in my bed when she was about 9 months old. The cats slept with me in my bed before she did but they quit when Hallie slept in my bed because she would try to play with them late at night, but for some reason Hallie started this thing where if Daisy (the cat) tries to come anywhere near her or me while we're in the bed she will bark and lunge at Daisy and stiffen up and stare at her until Daisy leaves. There were days when dog,cat, and human could sleep together peacfully in this house! I'm not sure what changed :confused: and caused this. And Hallie will do this behavior when she isn't even asleep, like if she's just laying down and in the morning she's back to her daisy-loving self. I can't correct this behavior because I'm asleep or not paying much attention when it happens. What I have been doing is removing her from the bed when she displays this behavior and telling her "no" but it definitely isn't working because the incidents have done nothing but increased. What in the world should I do? I don't really want to move Hallie to her crate again or kick the cat out but I'm willing to do either.
Thanks!
Oh and also Hallie just got spayed a week ago if that means anything.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It sounds to me like Hallie is guarding you and HER bed from the cats. I'd put her off the bed immediately and NILIF.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I agree with Four is Company. This sounds like resource guarding. The bed and you (if she only does it when you are in the bed) are the resource.
I would ban her from the bed and institute NILIF. Hallie is maturing and resource guarding does not "improve" or go away but often will start happening in other places too (the food dishes, etc) if you don't do something now about it.
This means NO bed. Period. Get her a comfy something to sleep on on the floor or go back to the crate and institute NILIF.
If when time goes by you wish to invite her on the bed again (INVITE, not decide on her own) you can try, but this may take months and it may not be possible at all.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, thanks guys. I never thought it could be resource guarding. She will even play and lick daisy on the bed but this is before she's tired and laying down :confused: Also I remember a time or two she lunged at Daisy through the crate when she was asleep and daisy woke her up when she knocked something down or made a noise :eek: Could it be just when she is asleep? Or maybe she's just more likely to display that behavior when she's sleepy?
It's like as long as she isn't sleepy she's fine with Daisy. Last night she even cleaned Daisy's ears on the bed! It's like she has these strange outbursts almost randomly and I'm afraid someone is going to get seriously hurt though..

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Yes. Resource guarding. Dog off bed.

There is another poster here who has a dog and photos of the dog sleeping and palying with the cats in her house. One day when she was not there and the dog was not crated the dog played too rough.. things got out of hand and the dog KILLED a cat..

.. and then, a few weeks later killed another cat... even tho he had slept with the cat the night b4.

Dogs and cats can get along fine. I have 5 cats and a GSD. No problems. Then one day Atka lunged at Fireball as she walked by. NILIF and Oliver got to eat with Atka and we stopped it all b4 it got to be anything.

I also never allow a situation to develop. Dog is never unsupervised with the cats. Nights she is in an area (no dogs on beds of furniture in my house) and cats are loose. Days when I am at work, dog is in crate in a room where there are no cats.

So, kick the dog out of the bed, institute NILIF and prevent this from escalating. One of the nastiest resurce guarding animals I ever lived with was a Beagle my parents had b4 I was born. As a baby he nearly nailed me several times (but he was kept until he died of natural causes at age 15).

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh I definitely plan on jumping straight into fixing it. Hallie is never left alone with any kind of animal, she's actually crated by herself anytime I'm not watching her. Even if I go upstairs, she stays crated till I come back down to watch her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts