Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm blaming the crate for this, but my new rescue can weasel her way out of this crate (It's a wire crate btw). She is NOT a fan of crates and is difficult to get her in there, very skiddish, but we are working on it. She isn't well potty trained either, but we are working that too.

Some days, I come home to the bottom of the crate scooted out because it only locks in place on the side as opposed to having a lock that comes down over the middle part (as shown in this picture)
(That's why I said this crate is obviously a bad one). She's also managed to bend the doors a bit to get out (and was limping because of it this morning). We are working on getting a plastic crate like our trainer recommeded (to make it more of a dark den for her).

In the meantime, I've draped a blanket over the crate to make it more closed in - she seems to like this. Any idea for how to temporarily rig the crate so she can't slide the bottom out? I tried putting the door of the crate against the wall last night so she couldn't scoot the bottom out, but she just flipped out all night long.

I can't leave her out of the crate because she will use the bathroom all over the house (hints the crate training). Any advice on fixing the crate while we work on buying a new one would be great!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I would recommend playing Susan Garrett's Crate Games with her. In the meantime you can always use zip ties to better secure the bottom of the crate. Just zip ties the piece that holds the crate pan in, in the middle and on both ends

·
Registered
70 Posts
I take a piece of plywood (I have pieces cut to fit in two sections vs a solid piece that is harder to get in there) and place it between the metal bottom and the plastic tray on all my wire crates. Not only does it lift the tray so that it cannot slide out but it also helps reduce some of the noise that some dogs get fearful over when they move. The tray no longer clacks against the wire (it will make your tray last longer too!) and it stabilizes it so that it doesn't slide around (also a worry for some dogs) and the dog feels more secure from the very first. If you have a very thick large piece of cardboard, like a packing box, or several pieces you can place it under the tray and it will work sorta the same way til you can get plywood cut. I use this for the crates I carry around as it's much lighter :D

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
If your dog is stressing that hard in a crate, maybe you could buy a 6 x 6 outdoor type kennel and set if up somewhere in your house while you are teaching crate skills. That way, your house is protected immediately and you aren't pushing your dog faster that she can go in crate work. If money is tight, craigslist often has panels posted for sale used. Place a rubber mat under the kennel or a piece of linoleum and you're set.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I take a piece of plywood (I have pieces cut to fit in two sections vs a solid piece that is harder to get in there) and place it between the metal bottom and the plastic tray on all my wire crates. Not only does it lift the tray so that it cannot slide out but it also helps reduce some of the noise that some dogs get fearful over when they move. The tray no longer clacks against the wire (it will make your tray last longer too!) and it stabilizes it so that it doesn't slide around (also a worry for some dogs) and the dog feels more secure from the very first. If you have a very thick large piece of cardboard, like a packing box, or several pieces you can place it under the tray and it will work sorta the same way til you can get plywood cut. I use this for the crates I carry around as it's much lighter :D
I will try this. I came home and she had cracked part of the side of the crate off. I have ALOT of cardboard and can most likely get some spare plywood from my grandpa when I see him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts