Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Obsessive sniffing....

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Annamarie 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am a bit worried about my new puppy. He is about 18 weeks old and a non neutered AKC German Shepard. About 4 or 5 days ago he started to sniff around the house (and outside) obsessively, going 20 or 30 minutes at a time! I thought it might be lack of exercise. So we walked him a good mile and a half. No luck. I thought it might be one of his chewies (rawhide bones or toys) so I brought them all out. No luck. I thought it might be lack of attention, so I lavished him with pets and tummie rubs. No luck. I tried to hold him for a couple of minutes but he started to cry to continue his "search"!!

I am terrified this might be a neurotic behaviour that has some underlying anxiety that he has that I don't know what is causing. I hate to think he has some trouble that is being vented in this manner....

Any thoughts or ideas??

Thanks,
John G.:(

#2 ·
it could be a phase. my dog was 2 when he finally figured out his sense of smell and was a bit obsessive about it. our foster dog is also a bit obsessive but I don't think she got much stimulation in her previous home.

just keep exersizing your pup and use it to your advantage. hide tasty treats in your hand and when she starts sniffing offer him a treat to redirect her focus. if he's doing it on walks, just keep walking don't stop and let him sniff. he'll get it eventually!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.