Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted about it several times before, how Obi is reactive on walks but behaves perfectly at training. Starting at 6 months old, he would lunge, bark and growl at everything that moved on walks, even 100 metres away.

I eventually found info on fear aggression that fits perfectly; like only being reactive on walks, starting at 6 months, being fine in a class environment, reacting to all dogs no matter what size and gender etc.

Anyway, when he started doing it I started training him out of it, by keeping him below threshold and feeding loads of yummy treats whenever we saw people and dogs.

It didn't take all that long before he could hear a dog bark in the distance and not react, and as long as the people/dogs we saw were far enough away he would look to me for his treat instead of reacting.

He's been getting a lot better, but I've still had to manage his walks so that we always stay at a certain distance from other people.

But the other day we saw several people on our walk, some of which had dogs. I pulled Obi off the path and asked for a sit, and he sat calmly the whole time and just watched the go past. We were only about 3-4 metres off the path, so they were pretty close.

And today I had him on the long line, and before I knew it he had run up to someone's fence where there was a dog, but instead of being rigid and reactive and silly towards the other dog, Obi sniffed, then playbowed then tried to get the other dog to chase him.

I was quite pleased with that. A bit further along Obi was sniffing along the fence line, and I know which houses have dogs so I don't let him go up to those fences. But today I guess someone's dog was visiting, because there was an unfamiliar dog in a yard where I've never seen a dog before. Obi saw the dog before I did, and returned to me and sat and waited for his treat. He didn't even look at the other dog, which by then had come to the fence to have a look at us.

Obi got a big jackpot, then turned and saw the dog again, so he did another sit, big jackpot, then he went up to the fence and had a quick sniff and was completely relaxed and then we kept walking.

I was blown away. And a couple of weeks ago we came up behind an old lady on the path and Obi and I walked right past her and Obi barely even look at her.

So after 6-7 months of training, Obi is now less reactive than most other dogs we see around here (most of them pull and bark at us when they see us).

So yeah. Obi is brilliant :)

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
This post just made my day. Isn't it fantastic when everything just 'clicks' all of a sudden?
Kudos to you and Obi :D

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

We walked past the unfamiliar dog again today, and today he barked at us which made Obi jump around and act silly, but he calmed down pretty quick and did a sit and got a treat.

It used to be Obi egging Pixie on, so I had to walk them separately. Now it's actually Pixie egging Obi on, so I should do some work on her. Not that she's bad, she'll just pull a bit and whimper if we're really close.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts