Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 7 month old Chocolate Lab named Titus. He is great! We love him to death. He has been really easy to train for the most part, very intelligent. however, there one area that he is have troubling with (i am trying to keep in mind that he is still a pup). We live live on a 37 acre island on the Delaware River. The only way on by car is a causeway, but when the water is high we have a walking bridge and a parking lot on the main land. the road on the other side of the bridge is very dangerous, and i don't want Titus to get hurt. I have been working on training Titus never to leave the island but with us, and i thought i had it pretty good. if walk towards the bridge, to go get the mail, he will sit down and wait for me, he does not attempt to go follow me anymore. but we just had some friends here and i was gone for a few hours and they asked me if titus was allowed on the bridge. i said that he was not, and they told me that he had started to follow they right over the bridge. but assuming that he was not allowed they took him off the bridge and told him to stay and he did.

My question is, how do i get Titus to not go near the bridge no matter who it or what goes across.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
You definitely need to keep Titus on a leash until he has a reliable recall. You also need to make sure that he's supervised every time he's outside. No dog will stay within the boundaries of an unfenced area forever. Even the most well-trained dogs can take off after awhile.

Check out this thread on how to work on recall.
http://www.dogforums.com/3-dog-training-forum/44329-teaching-come.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts