Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking to adopt a pup and have been particularly drawn to breeds that have broadly wolfish looks, such as the northern breeds and Huskies especially. However, in my research I've also learned that, for example, Huskies as a rule don't do well off leash, tending to run off even if trained.

Does anyone know of breeds/mixes that are generally obedient and trainable, and also have some of the northern breed physical traits?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Obedience off leash is based on the dog's relationship with the handler along with training and pack drive.

If you want a dog with pack drive, then prioritize that and not the look of the dog.

IOW's if you want a Labrador retriever, get a Labrador Retriever and don't get a husky and then expect it to act like a Labrador retriever. If you do, both you and the dog will be unhappy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you do, both you and the dog will be unhappy.
... Excatly. As you can't expect a breed to act against it's nature, I'm not planning to get a Husky. I'm asking if there are breeds out there that happen to have both in conjunction.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Many many of the Eurasier owners I know are able to work with their dogs off-leash. It's always going to take training, though!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
No, not really. Most northern breeds were bred for running long distances, so none of them are particularly reliable off leash. If you're looking for a good off-leash candidate, look for a very handler oriented breed or mix thereof.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, not really. Most northern breeds were bred for running long distances, so none of them are particularly reliable off leash. If you're looking for a good off-leash candidate, look for a very handler oriented breed or mix thereof.
While this is true that northern breeds were bred for running long distances, I don't see how this has anything to do with a northern breed not being able to be trained to be reliable off leash. It will require more work to train an off-leash northern breed in general when compared to a labrador, but this all comes to an issue of training.

I think the OP should be made aware that getting a dog solely for looks is a bad idea and know what certain breed tendencies are, but if the OP is willing to put the requisite training, a northern breed dog can be trained to be off leash.

The problem is many people who get northern breeds get these breeds to have cute furbabies and don't train them or don't do the proper research before bringing one home. They are working dogs with high prey drive and are not a stuffed animal and are not for novice owners who don't have the time to invest in their dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You should look into the Carolina Dog, a southern breed. Being a wild canid probably as close to a wolf as you can get. Mine is 13 years old and I can state unequivocally that he is the smartest and gentlest dog I have owned. I encourage you to research them. Find videos on youtube by Calafornia Carolina Dogs.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
While this is true that northern breeds were bred for running long distances, I don't see how this has anything to do with a northern breed not being able to be trained to be reliable off leash. It will require more work to train an off-leash northern breed in general when compared to a labrador, but this all comes to an issue of training.

I think the OP should be made aware that getting a dog solely for looks is a bad idea and know what certain breed tendencies are, but if the OP is willing to put the requisite training, a northern breed dog can be trained to be off leash.

The problem is many people who get northern breeds get these breeds to have cute furbabies and don't train them or don't do the proper research before bringing one home. They are working dogs with high prey drive and are not a stuffed animal and are not for novice owners who don't have the time to invest in their dog.
Northern breeds were bred for roaming and running long distances...its in their nature to kind of just...go. And of course individuals can be trained quite well and learn to stay near their owners, but since the OP was asking about off-leash reliability specifically...no, I would not recommend a northern breed since they are not at all known for their off-leash reliability. Perhaps an adult that is already known to stay near its handler and be reliable, but I wouldn't recommend getting a puppy and betting on it...

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Wiki Nordic breeds are dogs. Some are bred as long distance haulers. Others were all purpose, some herders, some hunters, some guarding and some bred down in size to be house pets. Look through that Wiki list to see if any appeal to you then ask about that breed. Just because a dog is used to herd doesn't actually mean it's easily trained or off leash safe of course. Most of those spitzes aren't as wolfy though.

German Shepherd Dogs were used in movies for ages as wolves. Get a GSD that's sable and you have a wolfy looking dog that is extremely trainable although not an easy dog in many other respects.

·
Registered
392 Posts
This is exactly what the group breeding Wyoming Mountain Dogs (what Quill is) are trying to do. Not so much trying to retain the "look", but rather the traits that make the northern breeds capable of handling extreme temps, rough terrain, etc while creating a more biddable, people-focused animal. Of course, by doing that, they often have the more spitz-type look. Quill is one that happens to look more GSD, as his mom was a pure GSD. They are still bringing in elkhounds, malamutes, and GSD since they haven't been around for hundreds of years and can't always breed WY Mountain Dog x WY Mountain Dog. They intend to try to get them AKC recognized, but that is a length process, so as of right now they aren't a recognized breed. But they are everything I was told they would be, and they do a great job of pairing to ensure the puppies fit their standards.

I've found them excellent to work with and very knowledgeable. The only issue would be location, as I believe they are only breeding in Wyoming, Colorado, and somewhere on the east coast. I would be happy to answer any questions. Here is their facebook page.

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
Many many of the Eurasier owners I know are able to work with their dogs off-leash. It's always going to take training, though!
I was just going to suggest this, lol. The Eurasier was specifically developed to be a more trainable Spitz breed! I've personally participated in a Eurasier walk in Calgary, AB where they had about 15 of them off leash without issue. But as said, no matter how trainable the breed, it takes training!

For the OP, a couple pics of Eurasiers.

And CKC's info on the breed:
https://www.ckc.ca/en/Choosing-a-Dog/Choosing-a-Breed/Working-Dogs/Eurasier

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
Northern breeds were bred for roaming and running long distances...its in their nature to kind of just...go. And of course individuals can be trained quite well and learn to stay near their owners, but since the OP was asking about off-leash reliability specifically...no, I would not recommend a northern breed since they are not at all known for their off-leash reliability. Perhaps an adult that is already known to stay near its handler and be reliable, but I wouldn't recommend getting a puppy and betting on it...
As has been mentioned by myself and Effisia, the Eurasier actually embodies everything the OP is looking for.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
As has been mentioned by myself and Effisia, the Eurasier actually embodies everything the OP is looking for.
Yeah, I guess I've always thought Eurasiers look more like fluffy GSDs than a Husky or any northern breed. But they would make a good match!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I am biased, of course! (thanks to Kuma'sMom, who introduced me to the breed to begin with!) People ARE always stopping us and asking if Beckett is a wolf dog. But they also ask if he's a "fox dog".... Or a husky, GSD, akita, chow, malamute, Pomeranian.... one person asked if he was a "huskydoodle" soooooo.... *shrug*

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I've heard that the Keeshond, when properly trained, can be reliable off-leash. I don't have any personal experience with the breed, though.

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
Yeah, I guess I've always thought Eurasiers look more like fluffy GSDs than a Husky or any northern breed. But they would make a good match!
Have you SEEN them? They look NOTHING like GAD’s, fluffy or otherwise. They’re spitz through and through.

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
I am biased, of course! (thanks to Kuma'sMom, who introduced me to the breed to begin with!) People ARE always stopping us and asking if Beckett is a wolf dog. But they also ask if he's a "fox dog".... Or a husky, GSD, akita, chow, malamute, Pomeranian.... one person asked if he was a "huskydoodle" soooooo.... *shrug*
It was so my pleasure! I’ve loved the breed so long, but they don’t fit into my lifestyle, so I’m thrilled to get to live vicariously through you, lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts