Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, about 1 - 2 months ago I stumbled across an abandoned dog... Afterwards he slept in my front yard for 3 days straight.. So I just had to take him in... He obviously knew who had the heart.

He's about 1-2 years old, his teeth are SPARKLING white and he acts like a pup.
I named him Jack, because it has a firm K sound to it.. and recently he has picked it up..

He understands his name now, and I've taught him sit-down-come-and stay (to an extent) ..

But he's having a hard time obaying me when I say "Jack come!" I put an uplift to my voice so it dosn't sound like I'm calling him down.. But he just wont come! He looks at me and just stares.

I've went and did a little research (not far beyond google) and was told to put a 20-30ft rope on his collar and everytime he dosn't respond to "Come" i'd give him a little tug (and ofcourse he'd come, and I'd reward him) ...

But once he's off the leash/rope he just stares... Sometimes he'll come -- most of time he wont.

Any help?
Thanks -Wes.

Btw this would be my first dog I'll get to train on my own, so I am a noobie.

EDIT: He's a mutt or mix of (I can only guess at this point) German Shepard and Golden Retriever

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
I have to ask first... how did you search for his owner? Since you mention very clean teeth, it could mean he was a lost dog not an abandoned dog. Was he scanned for a microchip? Flyers put up, ads on Facebook etc?

As for the recall-- reinforcement really. You've got the right idea with the rope; you don't want to give the command if you can't require the action (by tugging him back). My way is that if I have to reel the dog in on the rope, he gets praised and let back to wander to the end of the rope, but no treats. If the dog comes when called or with a single quick tug of the rope, then he gets a treat and praise. After a lot of practice, I treat ONLY if he comes when called. If I have to tug the rope at all, then it is only praise.

Don't burn the command-- at this point, if he isn't on the rope, don't call him to "COME" (except in an emergency, I'm talking daily use and training). Once he's got the command down stronger, then use it normally.

Never act harsh (strong voice or angry movements) after you call the dog to come. Even if he's been running around loose and avoiding you for 15 minutes and you finally grab him, don't act annoyed. Act happy and praise him that he's next to you.

Keep treats handy so you can turn normal daily activities into training.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have to ask first... how did you search for his owner? Since you mention very clean teeth, it could mean he was a lost dog not an abandoned dog. Was he scanned for a microchip? Flyers put up, ads on Facebook etc?

As for the recall-- reinforcement really. You've got the right idea with the rope; you don't want to give the command if you can't require the action (by tugging him back). My way is that if I have to reel the dog in on the rope, he gets praised and let back to wander to the end of the rope, but no treats. If the dog comes when called or with a single quick tug of the rope, then he gets a treat and praise. After a lot of practice, I treat ONLY if he comes when called. If I have to tug the rope at all, then it is only praise.

Don't burn the command-- at this point, if he isn't on the rope, don't call him to "COME" (except in an emergency, I'm talking daily use and training). Once he's got the command down stronger, then use it normally.

Never act harsh (strong voice or angry movements) after you call the dog to come. Even if he's been running around loose and avoiding you for 15 minutes and you finally grab him, don't act annoyed. Act happy and praise him that he's next to you.

Keep treats handy so you can turn normal daily activities into training.
I've searched the neighborhood (with him by my side) looking for the owner.. He seems to be abandoned because all of the sudden he just popped up and wouldn't go home.
He slept behind my mother's car for 3 nights.. (AND he isnt fixed)

We wouldn't take him in at first, but then the neighbors started to complain and one said they would call the pound.. so I couldn't let that happen.

And when I say "tug" I mean I'll say the command "Jack Come!" and then give him just a snap on the rope, not a constant pull... after that he usually walks up to me.
I do over use the command though cause It does frustration me when he dosn't respond. ( I can try to stop this, it's a bad habit )

I use simple bits of food for rewards and I'll always say "Good Boy Jack!" or "Good Sit/Come/Down Jack!" (After he does the right thing of course.)

I'm not sure If I'm going at this at the right approach any suggestions?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Definitely take him to a vet for all his shots and have him scanned for a chip while there. Check the lost dogs sections on craigslist, your local humane society etc. Post a "Found Dog" ad on craiglist but no photo- ask any callers to identify or email you a photo of him. Most newspapers do free found dog/cat classified ads. Dogs can travel an amazing distance in a short time; a dog can easily run 20+ miles in a day, so walking the neighborhood can mean little in finding an owner.

Try upping the reward. For basic training like SIT, using his dog food is a good reward and doesn't over-feed him with rich treats. But COME is a lifesaver command; so try things like little bits (TINY) of cheese, hot dog bits or lunch meat bits, bites of leftover chicken or meat (without any sauces or seasonings), liver treats etc. Basically, something with a strong smell and high value (high value to him- dogs prefer different treats)

Keep him on the rope more until he's got the command down stronger. Try jogging away from him and seeing if he follows you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not to well with explaining things... But that's my problem.

When he's on the rope he comes most the time and he'll follow me around.. But when he's off its another story.
I'll keep it up though, thaanks!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
You could also work while in your home. Whenever you call him, treat. We started Bryna out that way, and it came in really handy. Right before we started working on COME outside, Bryna managed to jerk the leash out of my hand to chase a cat. I yelled her name and she immediately turned around. It probably won't be that awesome for you guys and his recall in a highly distracting environment, but it could make a little easier.

Another thing you could do is work in a fenced area. Make yourself a lot more interesting than whatever the dog is looking at so that they come (walk away if need be so they follow) and treat when they come to you. I worked with my dog this way at a dog park early in the morning, and sometimes at an enclosed basketball court down the street.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well anyway to correct bad behavior?

Say he dosn't come, if I walk over to him he'll just run away -playfully i'd suppose- but If i crouch down he'll come (again sometimes...... ):)
I know that's a bad habit but..

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
He understands his name now, and I've taught him sit-down-come-and stay (to an extent) ..

But he's having a hard time obaying me when I say "Jack come!" I put an uplift to my voice so it dosn't sound like I'm calling him down.. But he just wont come! He looks at me and just stares.

I've went and did a little research (not far beyond google) and was told to put a 20-30ft rope on his collar and everytime he dosn't respond to "Come" i'd give him a little tug (and ofcourse he'd come, and I'd reward him) ...

But once he's off the leash/rope he just stares... Sometimes he'll come -- most of time he wont.

Any help?
Thanks -Wes.
My guess is that he understands the tug on the line, but not the word. I would not use your recall word unless he's headed your direction already. Otherwise he learns that he doesn't need to come. I'd also highly reward him when he does come to you and start practicing in a very controlled environment.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Well anyway to correct bad behavior?

Say he dosn't come, if I walk over to him he'll just run away -playfully i'd suppose- but If i crouch down he'll come (again sometimes...... ):)
I know that's a bad habit but..
That's where the bit about making yourself excitig comes in. Make kiss noises, clap your hands: whatever it takes. Never chase, because as you said it then becomes a game. If getting excited doesn't work, call your dog to get his attention, then walk away. 9 times out of 10 your dog will follow. When he guys to you, treat and give lots of praise. You don't have to be in a fenced in area. You could use this method whole on a long lead, too. That way your dog doesn't depend on the tug as a signal to come.

Theidea is to teach your dog that you are the best thing ever, and that no matter what he is looking at or going after compares to your awesomeness. I hope I made sense. :p

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Definitely take him to a vet for all his shots and have him scanned for a chip while there. Check the lost dogs sections on craigslist, your local humane society etc. Post a "Found Dog" ad on craiglist but no photo- ask any callers to identify or email you a photo of him. Most newspapers do free found dog/cat classified ads. Dogs can travel an amazing distance in a short time; a dog can easily run 20+ miles in a day, so walking the neighborhood can mean little in finding an owner.
Quoting this for emphasis. Please make more of an effort to find the owner, as you may have someone's lost pet that they are grieving over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts