Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the Obama's were getting a rescue dog?? :eek: That is no rescue dog, he is AKC registered, bought froma breeder. I just got a news letter from AKC introducing the Obama's AKC registered puppy. He was bought by someone and then returned to the groomer, which is where the Kennedy's got him. That isn't a rescue!! I am very dissapointed about this!! :mad:

·
Registered
435 Posts
I heard that the Obama's children needed a non-allergic dog,or something of that affect.It also was a gift from Sen. Ted Kennedy.I'm sure if somebody gave you a gift like that you wouldn't turn it down. I wouldn't.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Good grief. What a complete waste of time, energy and emotion to be very disappointed over the Obama family getting the gift of a dog that suits their family! So far I have yet to see where they were quoted saying that they were FOR CERTAIN getting a rescue, anyway, and besides that, there are registered rescues out there. This puppy may not have come from a shelter or rescue group, but he needed a home, at the very least his breeder was responsible enough to take him back when things fell through with his first family, and I believe he was one lucky to pup to end up with the Obamas. He is altered and the family DID make a donation to the Washington DC Humane Society after getting Bo.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
So...we are upset because a family researched the type of dog they wanted and instead of getting a rescue simply because they said they would months ago, chose instead to get a dog from a breeder they knew produced dogs they liked and which would be well suited to their family? Considering that this decision will affect (hopefully) the next 10-20 years of their life, as well as the life of the dog, that seems like the sort of decision to be supported...

But then, some people are never happy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I thought the Obama's were getting a rescue dog?? :eek: That is no rescue dog, he is AKC registered, bought froma breeder. I just got a news letter from AKC introducing the Obama's AKC registered puppy. He was bought by someone and then returned to the groomer, which is where the Kennedy's got him. That isn't a rescue!! I am very dissapointed about this!! :mad:
Omg! Cry about it, sheesh. They got a dog they needed, good for them.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Omg! Cry about it, sheesh. They got a dog they needed, good for them.
Ok, well, I don't think we need to bash the OP about it. An opportunity did come and pass, and that can mean more to some people than others. How you feel about it is one thing. Making people feel bad about how they feel about it is not appropriate.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Angie's Bella, do you even know the odds of a PWD being in rescue? Really? There are basically 0...the ones that end up there aren't there long, because SOME PWD breeder WILL find out about it and WILL pull the dog...whether it's theirs or not.

If it isn't one of their own, they find out who bred it so they can take it back! They are true breed guardians, and don't want them falling into the wrong hands!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
i think it really shows great thought on their part, theyu could of ended up with a dog that didn't truly suit them just because it was a rescue. they got a dog that really suited them, sometimes rescues aren't the best option. and its great that they are making a donation.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Whats the difference between buying a dog from the shelter that came from a breeder and buying a dog from a breeder who took the dog back from someone else who didn't want it?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just looked up what a portuguese water dog looked like. I'm surprised! I thought they'd get something like a goldendoodle or a small dog. Oh well! I was wrong! Good for them! I'm glad they got a puppy they can enjoy!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
ABC news reported the Obama dog has north Texas roots. He/she was born in a small town north of Fort Worth.

Regardless of their decision, I am glad they carefully weighed their requirements and didn't get one on the whim.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I mean, I'm a little bummed that they didn't adopt a shelter dog, but the situation was kind of unique. Their kid has allergies and they were unable to find a dog in a shelter that would fit a requirement they had; after all, the puppy is for the kids. Not to mention that they didn't go out and buy the dog; it was a gift from someone familiar with the family as well as the breed.

Quite frankly, I'm glad they got returned breeder stock. I'd much rather that happen than they go out and get some -doodle or other designer mutt. Imagine the backlash that would come with that! And also imagine all of the masses of people that would be in line to get a dog just like Bo.

I am kind of interested to see if there will be an overwhelming increase in demand for PWDs now...

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think my main concern with the whole thing is that a PWD is not really a good match (is was after talking to PWD owners/breeders) they are one family dogs and don't like strangers ,so the question is how will it fair in the white house (where there are lots of people all the time) Also just to put it out there we now have a variety of breeds that are suitable for people with allergies.

But oh well the dog will have it's own trainer and most likely will spend most of it's time with the trainer anyway.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
They did their research as they needed a hypo allergenic dog and settled on the PWD. The only problem with that is the breed isn't all that common and therefore extremely hard to find in rescue and/or shelters. Even on petfinder there were only two PWDs and they were mixed, which wouldn't work specifically because of the allergies. Therefore I congratulate them for taking a second chance dog even from a breeder. Not to mention the fact that it was a gift to them. They didn't exactly go out and buy it.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I think my main concern with the whole thing is that a PWD is not really a good match (is was after talking to PWD owners/breeders) they are one family dogs and don't like strangers
That's not really correct. The PWD temperament is similar to the GSD in this regard. They tolerate strangers just fine...and that's it. They tolerate. They won't be aggressive to strangers, but they certainly won't be all "HEY! How's it goin'?! Nice ta meetcha!" like a Golden.

A cursory sniff is likely all you'll get.

The ones I've met at shows are that way...they like you more if you have food :p Eli (PWD at class) likes me just because he sees me so much...the dog will be fine :p

Just because there are a variety of breeds suitable for allergies (such as Poodles and many Terriers) doesn't mean their personality or looks are right for the family.

I appreciate the intelligence and biddability of the Poodle, but I'd never own one.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
I think my main concern with the whole thing is that a PWD is not really a good match (is was after talking to PWD owners/breeders) they are one family dogs and don't like strangers ,so the question is how will it fair in the white house (where there are lots of people all the time) Also just to put it out there we now have a variety of breeds that are suitable for people with allergies.

But oh well the dog will have it's own trainer and most likely will spend most of it's time with the trainer anyway.

I don't know. I see them at shows. They always seem pretty outgoing and friendly to me.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.