Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, they just announced on the news that they will be getting a rescue Portugese Waterdog. Will be getting it in April. At least this is what they are saying on the news......

·
Banned
335 Posts
I don't think that a Porti is a bad idea for them, but it's certainly not my choice of a first dog for the average family. Honestly, though, this would be my choice of dog for the Obamas.

How much attention do with think that Porti will get from the family, anyway?

·
Registered
482 Posts
There was talk of them getting a 'doodle. They were planning on going the rescue route, which is good, but I was worried that copycat buyers simply wanting to have a pup like the President would up the demand for BYBs to start churning out more doodles...

I don't know much about the breed they selected, but I'm pretty sure the first family can afford/will have their own trainer. ;)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I don't know what I think about this. I'm glad they are rescuing, but wonder what that will do for the PWD popularity and if it's going to "ruin" the breed like popularity has done so many other breeds. I guess only time will tell on that.

If nothing else can be gleamed from it, at least they are showing that a good dog can be found in a shelter. :)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If nothing else can be gleamed from it, at least they are showing that a good dog can be found in a shelter. :)
And maybe it will up the rescue rate as well. ;)

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I don't know what I think about this. I'm glad they are rescuing, but wonder what that will do for the PWD popularity and if it's going to "ruin" the breed like popularity has done so many other breeds. I guess only time will tell on that.

I think its great that they are going to try to rescue and that they are going for a dog that is not a "designer Dog"....I'm not sure what they can do about the "popularity" issue...besides not getting any dog or getting a total Heinz 57 (which due to the kids allergy is out of the question)...most US Presidents have had dogs in the White House...I think once the hype dies down after Obama has been in office a few years the general public wont care what kinda dog he has :D

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have to say I am also impressed it has taken so long for them to get a dog. It shows, at least to me, that they are really taking the time to research, decide, and meet a good match. I mean, he promised the dog to his girls way back when he won the election, so it's been a fair bit of time.

Anyhow, I do think the dog will get a fair bit of attention. The girls will be around the White House, not in meetings or delegations or whatever. Yeah of course there will be handlers, but I'm sure the new dog will have plenty of playtime with the first daughters.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, they haven't got the dog yet. They have just chosen the breed they will be getting. Their plans are to get the dog after their vacation, which they will be looking to get the dog in April. They probably have their eyes on a couple of them and want to make sure the dog is a match for the kids.

·
Banned
335 Posts
And maybe it will up the rescue rate as well. ;)
Actually, that is my concern. With all of the animal rights legislation being proposed lately and Obama's self-professed support of animal rights, I wonder if this rescue dog might not be potential ammunition: after all, if the president himself could not force himself to go to a breeder for a dog, there must be something wrong with them, right?

I would much rather him not get a dog at all, rather than him get one from a rescue. The dog fancy should thank its lucky stars that they didn't decide on a Labrador x Poodle mix and the poor tripod dog should thank its lucky stars that it was only used as a prop for a short time.

In any case, I'm sure that the dog will be happy in the company of his/her trainer(s). The kids will lose interest in the dog once it becomes work, as kids are wont to do, and Michelle Obama does not strike me as being a dog person. It will quietly fade into the woodwork of occasional photo ops and then it will disappear into some staffer's home. My previous post was an attempt to be facetious, but personally, no matter what the breed, I'm afraid this dog is doomed.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Actually, that is my concern. With all of the animal rights legislation being proposed lately and Obama's self-professed support of animal rights, I wonder if this rescue dog might not be potential ammunition: after all, if the president himself could not force himself to go to a breeder for a dog, there must be something wrong with them, right?
I don't think it's an issue of whether he "could not force himself to go to a breeder," but instead simply chose rescue. I see nothing wrong with that.

The kids will lose interest in the dog once it becomes work, as kids are wont to do,
Not all kids lose interest, so how can you be so sure they will?

It will quietly fade into the woodwork of occasional photo ops and then it will disappear into some staffer's home. My previous post was an attempt to be facetious, but personally, no matter what the breed, I'm afraid this dog is doomed.
Interesting prediction. Are you of the opinion that no one should own dogs? After all, there's ALWAYS the potential that they will lose interest.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Why are they choosing this breed?
One of his daughters are allergic to dogs, so they needed a hypoallergenic breed which are like Poodles and PWDs. They were thinking about a doodle (A mixed golden retriever and poodle ) but chose a PWD instead which is a Thumbs up IMO...

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'm just interested to see what kind of PWD they will be able to find in a rescue. They aren't a very common breed - I've only met one in real life and while I'm sure the majority of them are great dogs, he was so ill bred and ill socialized he was NOT fun to be around if you valued your limbs. I'm not putting down the breed at all, I can say the same thing for some poorly bred Labs, Bulldogs, Huskies, Poodles, Papillons, Dalmations, Weims, etc., but it just makes you wonder what kind of dog (personality wise) he'll end up with. lol

·
Registered
364 Posts
Well, they haven't got the dog yet. They have just chosen the breed they will be getting. Their plans are to get the dog after their vacation, which they will be looking to get the dog in April. They probably have their eyes on a couple of them and want to make sure the dog is a match for the kids.
Oh, I know...that's what I mean, I'm impressed it has taken so long and they will take the time to meet a good match. Like I said in my other post, I'm glad they're taking the time to choose a breed and make a great match for their family.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Hmmm, I wonder if the Obama's have time to film an episode of Underdog to Wonderdog? :rolleyes:
Remember they are choosing these breeds because one of his daughters are allergic to dogs. otherwise I bet they would have had a small breed dog.

·
Banned
335 Posts
Sorry for taking so long to post a reply: I was off stuffing Kongs and making canine-appropriate "guilt" cookie in preparation for my being off at school tomorrow.

I don't think it's an issue of whether he "could not force himself to go to a breeder," but instead simply chose rescue. I see nothing wrong with that.
I should have put that statement in quotes, to be sure. That's not *me* speaking per se, but I am putting words into the mouths of the animal rights activists who will use this dog as ammunition. Please don't label me as being paranoid, if you are thinking of doing so; all you have to do is look at the people with whom he has surrounded himself and all of the legislation being proposed nationwide. The Primate bill that would limit the transportation of primates as pets is going to be an interesting test. Not only is the timing perfect for it, being a knee-jerk response to the attack on that CT woman, but it is also very similar to the proposed Oklahoma HB 1332, which limits the movement of pets through Oklahoma. I suspect that if it passes, the dog fancy will be extremely limited in OK activity. So, no, I trust nothing that this administration does with animals and I think that this poor dog will turn into a political pawn.

Not all kids lose interest, so how can you be so sure they will?
Not all kids live in the White House, either. Most kids like/love puppies and are rather less fond of dogs. In addition, they will have little private time with their dog and will have little time to play with it as the average child plays with a pet. Unless these children love the company of the Secret Service and/or paparazzi when they are playing with or training their dog, I suspect that they will prefer their Wii.

Interesting prediction. Are you of the opinion that no one should own dogs? After all, there's ALWAYS the potential that they will lose interest.
I love dogs and think that everyone who thinks that they can handle a dog should have the opportunity to own one. On the other hand, this family are all (to my knowledge) first-time dog owner. I don't recommend rescue dogs for first time pets to anyone, let alone to the family of one of the most politically powerful men in the world. The White House is a fishbowl. Everything that dog does, whether it is to chew on the antique furniture in the Lincoln Bedroom or whether it bites a staffer or page or whatever, everything will be fodder for criticism that the average person might have. At the very worst, it will end up in the press, causing embarrassment for everyone involved. This man is a first-time dog owner (at least as an adult) and a first-time president and he is already setting himself up for a combative administration. No, I think he needs a dog like I need an elephant in my living room.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.