Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was suggested to me by the vet to use an oatmeal shampoo on Lucy all the time due to her skin issues. I have a week until she can be bathed due to her spay.

Would anyone have a preference to a good oatmeal shampoo brand within reasonable price ranges? I have the option of TSC and Pet Plus Supply as my main options for shopping. Dollar stores carry Hartz brand stuff ... I do not care to use these.

Thank you. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I personally don't like oatmeal shampoos. I find that they tend to dry out the skin at times. I would reccomend Epi-Pet. It's what we use at our salon and it's done WONDERS for a lot of the dogs that come in. http://www.epi-pet.com/ I would definitely look into it as we've had a lot of success with using it on dogs that have skin issues(missing hair, dry skin, dandruff, allergies etc.)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally don't like oatmeal shampoos. I find that they tend to dry out the skin at times. I would reccomend Epi-Pet. It's what we use at our salon and it's done WONDERS for a lot of the dogs that come in. http://www.epi-pet.com/ I would definitely look into it as we've had a lot of success with using it on dogs that have skin issues(missing hair, dry skin, dandruff, allergies etc.)
Thank you. I tried to create an account with them ... but something is not working. ( probably me! Lol! :) )

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I also am not a fan of oatmeal shampoos. What skin issue are you dealing with? There are shampoos out there that work well for many conditions. It would be helpful to know exactly what you are dealing with.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also am not a fan of oatmeal shampoos. What skin issue are you dealing with? There are shampoos out there that work well for many conditions. It would be helpful to know exactly what you are dealing with.
A flea allergy and a possible food allergy. Vet says its been long term by the way the skin looks. She was flea infested and running loose for approximately 3 months. The flea allergy is for sure.

Thank you if you have any suggestions. :)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
A flea allergy and a possible food allergy. Vet says its been long term by the way the skin looks. She was flea infested and running loose for approximately 3 months. The flea allergy is for sure.

Thank you if you have any suggestions. :)
The flea allergy will clear when she is free of fleas. Food allergies, change her food to a grain free, potato free food, with an uncommon protein like bison,etc. Any shampoo will only be topicaly treating an internal issue, so shampoo will not clear it up, but you may be able to relieve any itching for a day, maybe two with a shampoo. I would recommend UltraSheen Medicated by EZ Groom. You have to order it from them direct as its professional grade and not in stores. Its great stuff tho. Dilute according to the bottle, maybe a tad stronger and let it soak on her for 15 minutes. Then rinse. If you get the allergy issues cleared up the skin will follow.

·
Registered
34 Posts
you could always make you on and it is very inexpensive. here is one recipe i found
1 Cup of Ground Oatmeal*
1 Cup of Baking Soda
1 Quart of Warm Water
it works best if you grind the oatmeal in a blender into powder and you can add some soap for good lather. there are plenty of different recipes besides this one.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you could always make you on and it is very inexpensive. here is one recipe i found
1 Cup of Ground Oatmeal*
1 Cup of Baking Soda
1 Quart of Warm Water
it works best if you grind the oatmeal in a blender into powder and you can add some soap for good lather. there are plenty of different recipes besides this one.
This is a neat idea! Thanks. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts