Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
One more reason I'd NEVER wish to live in Europe.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Ok playing devils advocate for a minute.... I like the part that pll should at least learn about dogs before they own one, but all the taxes..... Not cool! I hope the US doesn't get wind of this, I don't need Uncle Sam taking MORE of my money thanks.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I don't know how many times I have heard "I wish people would have to pass a test before they could get a dog"......so maybe it's finally happening.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I don't know how many times I have heard "I wish people would have to pass a test before they could get a dog"......so maybe it's finally happening.
Yeah....then there's the "slippery slope" argument...next is having to pass a test before having kids.

Either way,its a nice idea that people should have to learn a bit before getting a dog, though the costs are a bit much!

My question is what happens to the dogs/owners that fail? Who sets the benchmark for "dangerous"? How do they determine it? Is there a chance to rehabilitate a dog? Good idea in theory, but I'd be worried about it in practise.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
next is having to pass a test before having kids.
Can't say I disagree with that either. Lol.
It's amazing the people who would most likely fail if they had to take a test before owning an animal or having children.

·
Banned
122 Posts
how are they gonna manage to test every single citizen? how do they know who owns a dog? not everyone gets them from a licensed breeder or organization like the humane society.
and i dont like the mandatory microchipping. thats crossing a line. id hide from the law if my country tried enacting this.. sad, but my dog is MINE, and i dont want microchips all up in him.

maybe they should teach more about pet care in schools. have free puppy training classes [theyre somewhat expensive]..

·
Registered
490 Posts
Can't say I disagree with that either. Lol.
It's amazing the people who would most likely fail if they had to take a test before owning an animal or having children.
Totally agree. You need a license to catch a damn fish. But any [censored for VERY ugly word] can be a parent? My father was a monster. Wish they'd made him take a test haha.

As for having a test to own a dog... Wish they'd just enforce all the laws we already have that would stop ninety percent of tragedies. But it's cheaper to placate the public with new laws, much cheaper. (Talking about Aus)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
As for having a test to own a dog... Wish they'd just enforce all the laws we already have that would stop ninety percent of tragedies. But it's cheaper to placate the public with new laws, much cheaper. (Talking about Aus)
Yeahhh, I think if rules would actually be enforced more often -everywhere, on every subject- it could possibly be a nice deterrent to the fruits and just downright cruel people but I guess it's not only cheaper, but if you put a tax on it, you're making money.
Then again, that would really be a deterrent. Like someone else said though, I don't know how they plan on keeping up with everyone who owns a dog.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yeahhh, I think if rules would actually be enforced more often -everywhere, on every subject- it could possibly be a nice deterrent to the fruits and just downright cruel people but I guess it's not only cheaper, but if you put a tax on it, you're making money.
Then again, that would really be a deterrent. Like someone else said though, I don't know how they plan on keeping up with everyone who owns a dog.
Well no system is perfect but if owners were given more than a slap on the wrist for their roaming dog, or their roaming dog attacking someone/pets that in itself would e a huge deterrent. Councils could do a PROPER check to see if dogs are regoed etc.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yeah that's a bit much.

My mother lives in Switzerland and you have to go to mandatory obedience classes when you get a dog. All dogs and owners have to go through it to get the license, not just first dog owners. I've always thought that was a decent idea. Also less expensive or demanding than what Germany is proposing here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You know Europe is not one country right? This is not a dig at you, just that people talk of Europe as if it were an homogeneous thing, when there are countless countries, each with its own policies, etc. I've lived in two very different european countries and really... they aren't even comparable. If anything, I'd say this may be a reason you could never live in GERMANY, not necessary Europe.

I doubt that tax would fly in many, if not nearly every other European countries. Yes, there are things here you may disagree with here (same as me disagreeing with the snake ban in the US, which one of the reasons I could never live over. Leave my Burmese Pythons alone!) but it's really not that bad. If anything, I've never seen a stray dog or cat AT ALL around the area I'm currently living in.

That said, the idea itself isn't bad... but I see two obvious problems with it, the price and actually enforcing it.

·
Registered
801 Posts
:doh: At least once a day an American says something that makes me embarrassed to be American. It happened earlier than normal today.
Germany is not the entirety of Europe and Lower Saxony is not even the entirety of Germany. I really wish Americans would educate themselves about the rest of the world. I've lived in various parts of the U.S., Germany, Norway, the U.A.E. and Turkey. I much prefer northern Europe to live in. I haven't met many people in northern Europe that would give up their greater level of safety and security for the higher crime rate and abysmal healthcare system and many more problems too numerous to name in the U.S. And as a woman, I felt freer in Germany and Norway than I have ever felt in my own damn messed up country. No wonder nothing changes for the better in the U.S. where higher education is regarded as an evil communist plot to destroy America. Americans don't just celebrate ignorance, they wallow in it. I will never again defend Americans to Europeans that claim Americans are both profoundly arrogant and ignorant of the world outside America because they are right. *sigh

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Damnath said:
(same as me disagreeing with the snake ban in the US, which one of the reasons I could never live over. Leave my Burmese Pythons alone!)
There's no snake ban in the U.S. Maybe a few individual cities have certain restrictions (I think Detroit bans all reptiles, which is more than a little weird), but definitely not at a federal level or a state level.

[ETA: OK, I guess there is a ban on importing certain species, but not on ownership. And the current population is enough for captive breeding. . .there used to be a pet store here that gave out baby Burmese Pythons like they were kittens. They had to close the store for financial reasons but I bet they still sell plenty of snakes.]

I don't see how this can be enforced, but then again Germany is smaller and more densely populated than the U.S. And I also wonder what will happen if they find that your dog isn't "well-socialized" :(.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There's no snake ban in the U.S. Maybe a few individual cities have certain restrictions (I think Detroit bans all reptiles, which is more than a little weird), but definitely not at a federal level or a state level.
http://pet-snakes.com/serpentes-non-gratae-4-species-snakes-banned-united-states
By ban I mean that at least four species (more on the way, or so I've read) have been banned from being imported and transported across state lines. This is a pretty big thing for a reptile owner as myself (well, not since I'm not in the US, but you get the point) since there's plenty of reptiles of interest (especially 'morphs', which are basically fancy coloured versions of some snakes) being produced all over. Some of my snakes come from Germany/other countries, so I'd be a bit annoyed if the same happened across Europe.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I'm very well aware that Europe isn't one country, thank you. However some of the MOST restrictives laws are passed by European countries, country-wide BSL, banns on certain medical procedures being done to dogs and using certain training tools abound. I like the freedom to choose what I wish to do with my dog as well as what breed I wish to own (in most of the US, a few cities are the exception and those are places I'll never live). We have enough laws to ensure that cruelty gets punished while preserving the rights of ownership.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm very well aware that Europe isn't one country, thank you. However some of the MOST restrictives laws are passed by European countries, country-wide BSL, banns on certain medical procedures being done to dogs and using certain training tools abound. I like the freedom to choose what I wish to do with my dog as well as what breed I wish to own (in most of the US, a few cities are the exception and those are places I'll never live). We have enough laws to ensure that cruelty gets punished while preserving the rights of ownership.
Australia is very repressive with dogs, but France certainly isn't.

I actually think in many ways America is (well, not IS but is becoming) a very oppressive state.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Yeah, there are parts of the US, but certainly not all (or even the majority) of the country. I don't know much about Australia's dog laws other than many are fighting BSL right now. I DO know AUS, and many European countries also have VERY restrictive guns laws (I highly value my right to Keep and bear arms) and that would be another reason I'd not want to live outside the US.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yeah, there are parts of the US, but certainly not all (or even the majority) of the country. I don't know much about Australia's dog laws other than many are fighting BSL right now. I DO know AUS, and many European countries also have VERY restrictive guns laws (I highly value my right to Keep and bear arms) and that would be another reason I'd not want to live outside the US.
I agree with you. I like the fact you can admit their are faults in your country, just like I can in mine. :)

Yes we're fighting BSL VERY hard here. A little girl named Ayen Chol was mauled to death late last year as well as seriously injuring two adults. The dog was roaming, went down the street to their house, went in while the 4 year old was watching telly and killed her. :( After that the pitbull laws became some of the worst in the world IMO. I can tell you if you're interested. What makes me so angry is an innocent child is dead and the owner isn't being charged with anything than letting his dog roam!! HE killed that little girl!

Quite a few people complained to the council about this roaming dog and they did nothing, yet they're not held accountable either? Guess it's just cheaper to use scare tactics and implement BSL.

The best part? The dog was an effing GSD not a pitbull!!

ETA I know it's easier to get a gun in the US but laws have relaxed here a bit, we're probably second behind the US, then Europe. I don't have any guns at the moment, but I intend to have all my hunting guns plus protection when OH and I move to our block of land.

·
Registered
801 Posts
cschellenberger I hate to burst your bubble but the U.S. is one of the most restrictive countries in the western world overall. We are a police state compared to most European countries and have a greater portion of our population in prison than even China does. I never have and probably never will be as free in the U.S. as I was in Europe thanks to the blind patriots in this country with their heads stuck in the sand that rely on faux news for their propaganda, er, 'information' on what is going on in the world. This country is doomed as long as people regard education, a world view and intellectualism as an evil plot to destroy conservative American values.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts