Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I see a lot of talk about Nylabones with puppies but do they suit adult dogs too? especially ones who love to chew plastic?

My dog is on a raw diet and I prefer to keep everything he eats natural so he gets Raw Meaty Bones etc but because that's limited to 10% of his diet it's hard to feed long lasting ones daily without causing really tough stools. He does get pizzles or "bully sticks" as well but they don't last long even when stil frozen o.o.
So was thinking this may be a good alternative, are they safe to chew etc?

How long do they generally last your dogs? I'm looking at the souper size for a Vizsla as I can't find the Monster size in the dura extra as I'm in the UK. Is the dura extra that much tougher or will a large size be more beneficial?

Do your dogs like them or ignore them after a while once they figured they can't get anything from them? My dog has a habit of doing things like that...
Cheers in advance :)

·
Super Moderator
11,447 Posts
Esther, who dispatched a large black Kong in a few minutes, has Nylabones that I bought ten years ago. She still chews on them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds promising then, he loves to chew plastic like laundry baskets or storage tubs so I think it'd be a good thing to redirect him to without unbalancing his diet :)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
My Aussie loved them. He was also a very tough chewer and went through other toys quickly. The Nylabones lasted him awhile. Especially when I got him the mega sized one.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Toby loves Nylabones. He can actually wear one down to a nubbin in a couple months. I buy the big monster bones or whatever they call them. Mostly because he likes that shape best. Suri will chew on one now and then but the other dogs don't even look at them, LOL

·
Super Moderator
11,447 Posts
I suspect the reason the Nylabones last Esther so long when Kongs die a premature death is because she is really a tearer (not to be confused with a terrier) more than a chewer.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
With them, if you have a powerful chewer like I do, even though he is only 18 " tall and only weighs 34 lbs, I get the large or even extra large ones for powerful chewers because a chew of the "appropriate" size he would have destroyed in like ... less than a month LOL

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I suspect the reason the Nylabones last Esther so long when Kongs die a premature death is because she is really a tearer (not to be confused with a terrier) more than a chewer.
Yes. This was Royce. He destroyed Kongs too, but it's because he would grab the flimsy end where you stuff it and pull.... and pull some more.

Nylabones, he had to chew and then pull, and then chew some more. Just couldn't get through them as fast. Lasted him about a month. The larges ones did. The mega one, a little longer.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So are they ok to chew and eat?? It's obviously a fabricated material but I suppose if it's tough then its only small pieces at a time and it won't matter?

We've just moved house and he needs to be crated slightly more now so he needs something, food in kongs don't last long.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Luna's has gradually worn down over time. It is definitely smaller than it used to be so I'm presuming she's eaten some of it, but she's never broken a piece off or something like that. Just gradual wear.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
So are they ok to chew and eat?? It's obviously a fabricated material but I suppose if it's tough then its only small pieces at a time and it won't matter?

We've just moved house and he needs to be crated slightly more now so he needs something, food in kongs don't last long.
That's a great question. I wondered about that too. But couldn't find an answer. I know Royce ate his, in a sense. I mean I found no pieces just laying around so as he witted away at it, he had to be eating it some..... it just took a month or two to do it.

When it got down to a little knob and really broken apart I threw it away and gave a new one.

I see some on the package say edible. But they seem like a different material then the classic Nylabones.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
It says in the paperwork that the dogs will swallow little plastic shavings and that's OK---they'll pass right through. Toby's never had any trouble anyway. You definitely don't want to get one small enough for the dog to gnaw off a chunk though. That's a blockage for sure.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Clyde loved nylabones as a puppy but we had to take them away when he yacked up a significant pile of shavings from the largest, toughest nylabone we could find. We got Louie some but he didn't take to them much. He would rather gnaw on Clyde's kongs for whatever reason. So we made the mistake of giving Clyde undersized nylabones. He managed to shatter a molar trying to crush the end of the nylabone with his strength... We put two and two together when we found a nylabone covered in blood under a piece of furniture with a piece of the end halfway chewed off...that is something he had never done as an adolescent and the ones he had then were small enough to attempt that on too.

So just be careful with them. I wouldn't give them to a dog who likes to crush and tear at toys without close supervision.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I buy the largest, toughest nylabones and they survive reasonably well. They make one called Beef Bone (don't buy the turkey shaped ones, they have ends that get pointy when the dog chews) as well as the big round ham bone shape and the dogs love them and do very well on them. They last for several months in my house of 4 hard chewers.

http://www.amazon.com/Nylabone-Monster-Original-Flavored-Durable/dp/B0002ASPT6/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1443027529&sr=1-3&keywords=nylabone
http://www.amazon.com/Nylabone-Dura-Chew-Ham-Steak/dp/B00EE6563C/ref=pd_sim_199_22?ie=UTF8&refRID=0R01KZJ3NP55CFK94JE1

They also enjoy the Denta chews and the Galileo in giant size. I don't buy anything under giant size, even my 7lb dog will tackle the giant bones (and she looks adorable dragging them around). Whenever they get worn down small I toss them. I order new a couple times a year.

http://www.amazon.com/Nylabone-Dura-Chew-Large-Textured/dp/B003SN5YKC/ref=pd_sim_199_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ATZ5G8J77GW37PRF8YF&dpID=51FGX+JRYcL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR145,160_
this has lasted a long time, most of my dogs don't seem to like the shape but Lad really does.

http://www.amazon.com/Nylabone-Souper-Flavored-Double-Action/dp/B000ER3QM8/ref=pd_sim_199_30?ie=UTF8&refRID=0823NYJYNNG6PWHNHBTF
This lasts well, just buy it in the largest size

http://www.amazon.com/Nylabone-Galileo-Souper-Original-Flavored/dp/B000084ERH/ref=pd_sim_199_20?ie=UTF8&refRID=163XEBD4526BZDA2DZQ1
And this

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
My Aussie is kinda ridiculous with chews and I trust with her almost nothing.

I tried the powerful chewers Nylabones and she was taking little chunks out of it left and right. She actually does better with the more rubbery plastic (we still have the softer puppy Nylabones that she barely touches anymore) and I'm not really sure why. So.. it really depends on your dogs chewing style whether or not it will work for you. My dog seems to scrape right through the extra hard plastic stuff, making it rough and sharp.

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
Here's a photo of a Souper sized chicken "flavored" Nylabone which had been left available to my bully breed fosters for months (one foster at a time, not left around for multiple dogs at the same time). It stands up well and they never got chunks off it, only tiny scrapings, but it was also one of the least popular chew toys for most of them. But a few really did enjoy chewing it so the pic is maybe 20-25 hours of actual "chew time"

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Bennie wouldn't touch nylabones, but we ended up giving it to a friends dog who needed two surgeries to remove Kong pieces he'd eaten. He loved it and it lasted him a few months, surprisingly! I think it was called BIG Nylabone. He's a super heavy chewer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ellie loves to chew so we have given her nylabones and benebones. She definitely prefers the benebones, must taste better or something. She does swallow some of the pieces. We know because she has vomited the morning after a long chewing session and I could see all the pieces. We just monitor the amount of time she chews on them and haven't had any other problems. She definitely doesn't eat all of the bones because we have small shards all over the couch where she chews!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts