Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok for the ends of the nylabone to get all torn, ratty, and shredded? It looks like it would be prickly and uncomfortable to chew in this state?

I've used bully sticks in the past but due to food allergy/intolerance?GI issues have stopped giving them. That leaves me with the deer antler and nylabone as chew options.

So I'm a little clueless about when you should toss the nylabone. Or maybe this is normal. Fo some reason I just didn't see shredding as a good thing, I mean this is bits of plastic that would break loose if it gets shredded.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Have you tried the Galileo Nylabone? Its the most durable one in the line.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Yeah, they get sharp and tatty when chewed on. . .terrible to step on in the middle of the night! :p But dogs don't seem to mind. Toby actually like them better when they're like that--he doesn't like them to be too smooth. The company says small pieces that are ingested pass through harmlessly. But if your dog chews off big chunks you to take it away and get a larger size.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I think the shredded ends are actually supposed to be good for the gums. I don't see how anything a dog is chewing on would stay smooth. I would take away the Nylabone when the ends are gone or if your dog is chewing off big chunks, but the shredded ends are fine. You could also try a more durable version, like Dura Chew or Galileo.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think I was told that once the ends start getting like that they should be thrown out soon after...thats what I've been doing so I don't have any issues!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
The ends are suppossed to get all shreded like that. Its suppossed to help clean teeth,etc. Small pieces are suppossed to be safe to digest. You should throw them away when they start getting too short or when it looks as if pieces may break off. For example, my dog Vada chews the ends until they are pointed like little shanks. We take them away just in case she breaks that thiner pointy end off.

My dog absolutely loves them, but we had to stop giving them to her. She chews on them so much everyday that the little shavings she had swallowed had turned into something like a hairball. One day she coughed up a ball of nylabone shavings. We have since than switched over to antlers for her chewing pleasure.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Here is the answer directly from the Nylabone website

"Be careful, however, because these bones will eventually splinter, so a bone like this should be thrown away when it begins to get very brittle."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts