Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NYC police officer shoots dog who was attempting to protect her unconcious owner >:/

Here is the link, be warned the video (if you havent seen it) is pretty graphic, i only watched it because i wanted to see the dogs body lingo before i passed judgement on the cop... but she acted that way because instead of hanging back & calling AC or SPCA, they kicked (as witnesses say) the unconcious man with their foot, proving the dog to attack. the dog runs at them & they shoot her even after this, they still dont attend to the stricken man :'(.

http://www.care2.com/causes/nypd-shoots-dog-while-her-owner-has-a-seizure.html

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Yes, be warned, you see the dog get shot in the video, so if you can't handle that sort of thing don't watch it.

I think the police officers really screwed up in this situation. I doubt they kicked the man, more like nudged him with his foot, but yeah they didn't need to shoot the dog. They could have had tools such as a catch pole to remove the dog from the area or something instead of just walking up to an unconscious stranger with his dog standing there. A bit of planning and foresight would have prevented this whole situation.

Luckily, the dog didn't die. I read somewhere that she lived and will be turned over to animal control after she is recovered enough.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i stopped it after he shot her, i didnt want to see the rest of it :(, i watched it to see if the shooting of her was 'justified' as some were saying (some bystanders said the dog went after him, i think they just said that because she 'looked' like a pit bull :( its sad because if it were any other type of dog or a small dog, it prolly wouldnt have been shot.

whats the bad thing is that this bastard cop prolly wont even get any punishment, because hes a cop >_< i hate what society has become.

Yes, again if you are squemish DONT WATCH THE VID again WARNING it is graphic :( :( :(

·
Registered
211 Posts
It's just another example of how our police in the US are becoming over-militarized. Being a police officer serving a community is different from being on patrol in Iraq or Afghanistan but more and more they're acting like the public is the enemy. Although it's sad for the dog, it's a good thing it wasn't a person this time around.

It's also a lucky thing the officer didn't miss (dogs are small and quick) since a ricochet off the hard pavement could have hit a fellow officer or a bystander.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don't think the cops should have engaged the dog right away, they'd be better off letting the dog be and backing people off. For example, I believe a woman got bit in the very beginning of the video.
If an ambulance arrived before animal control or someone that could handle it then okay shoot the dog we have to save the person, but they wanted to be tough guys and engage the dog right away. They pretty much had it coming, the worst part is when they pepper spray the dog even after they shot it.
This video is all tough guy wussyness at its finest. Love to act tough but when stuff actually hits the fan they panic and freak out, and you can tell they do because they just freeze after the dog goes down.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
While I can't blame the officers for defending themselves, WHY is death always the first option? There are other ways to subdue a dog that don't involve killing it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The video bugs me. While I understand that the officer was protecting himself, if they hadn't been messing with the owner in the first place then the dog wouldn't have attacked. Then you'll have the people saying "THEY WERE JUST TRYING TO HELP THE OWNER." But then after shooting the dog NO ONE goes to help the owner. At least not that I could see in that 9 minute video. They all just stand around while the dog bleeds and they don't even go over to see if they can do anything for the owner. There is also the fact of how dangerous it was to fire a gun around that many people. Tazing or macing her would have been a much better option. His gun should not have been drawn.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Yes, be warned, you see the dog get shot in the video, so if you can't handle that sort of thing don't watch it.

I think the police officers really screwed up in this situation. I doubt they kicked the man, more like nudged him with his foot, but yeah they didn't need to shoot the dog. They could have had tools such as a catch pole to remove the dog from the area or something instead of just walking up to an unconscious stranger with his dog standing there. A bit of planning and foresight would have prevented this whole situation.

Luckily, the dog didn't die. I read somewhere that she lived and will be turned over to animal control after she is recovered enough.
I am so glad that dog lived! My Niece told me to watch that this morning ... and she did not tell me how graphic it was ... it made me virtually ill! :( It was so sad that the dog had to suffer like that! They sure didn't seem to care IMHO!

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I tried to watch the video and I nearly had a panic attack about it. It's so much worse in real life than in the movies and I never knew. I also don't think he should have shot the dog.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
If the dog is going to be ok and the owner is ok, why is the dog going to animal control? That makes no sense. I couldnt' watch the video because it wanted me to sign in and I don't do anything on YouTube but I'm probably glad I can't.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Tazing or macing her would have been a much better option. His gun should not have been drawn.
From my understanding the dog was maced and it only made it more agitated.

I'll post on here what I post on another forum..

I agree, if they weren't going to help the man (the cops), they should have kept their distances and waited until animal control arrived to get the dog or something. If everyone would have stayed back out of the way, the dog may not have felt its owner was as threatened and it might have had a chance to calm down a little. Poor thing.. All it knew was its owner was in a helpless state, and its job was to protect him.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If that was NZ , there would be an investigation as to the whys and Wherefores that the gun was even fired. No joke. Guns in police cars in nz are in a locked box in the vehicle and only ever used in a last resort. They are never carried on a police officers person unless otherwise arranged. It's currently under investigation to change that but guns should always be last resort. Didn't have the guts to watch the video though.. :-S I hope it's true that the dog lived though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts