Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we got our Noel, the breeder highly recommended Nuvet Plus (the vitamin) and also includes an extra year with the dogs warranty if using Nuvet... We got a bottle when we brought her home... She loves eating it, gets 1 everyday...

Well, we just switched her food today (or I should say are gradually switching) to Blue Buffalo. The Blue sales rep in the store was saying that we wouldnt need any supplemental stuff or vitamins as everything she needs is in the food... The Nuvet Plus is like $80 for 3 months, and the Blue Buffalo obviously is an expensive food...

Does anyone know much about the Nuvet Plus? Can we drop that as a supplement now that she's going to be eating Blue Buffalo... We're switching her from Pedigree/Purina (had some of both), because we've been reading so much about quality dog food and how those foods are basically garbage...

Thoughts? Phase the Nuvet out after this bottle? Keep it?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't think supplements are necessary with a quality diet - most places I've seen pushing the vitamins are commercial kennels or BYB :(
Did you get a Health Guarantee on your dog? Most are null and void if you don't continue to buy the vitamins

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think supplements are necessary with a quality diet - most places I've seen pushing the vitamins are commercial kennels or BYB :(
Did you get a Health Guarantee on your dog? Most are null and void if you don't continue to buy the vitamins
Yes she has a 1 year health guarantee, and if we use the Nuvet Plus it's increased to a 2 year guarantee...

Whats a BYB?

·
Registered
269 Posts
BYB stands for backyard breeder and refers to an irresponsible breeder.

If it were me, I'd take a good look at my contract before making a decision. If the health guarantee is her taking back the puppy and refunding your money or giving you a new pup--well, would you really take her up on that anyway? Perhaps you would, but I think it's less likely. If however, her health guarantee is something that allows you to keep your puppy and receive a refund, another pup, help with vet bills, or some other benefit you'd like, then I'd consider keeping the supplements to extend the guarantee. Basically, are you willing to spend $650 for two years of the health guarantee you got in your contract? If it's worth less than that, don't bother with supplements (I'd finish off my bottle though) and put your money to better use.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
BYB stands for backyard breeder and refers to an irresponsible breeder.

If it were me, I'd take a good look at my contract before making a decision. If the health guarantee is her taking back the puppy and refunding your money or giving you a new pup--well, would you really take her up on that anyway? Perhaps you would, but I think it's less likely. If however, her health guarantee is something that allows you to keep your puppy and receive a refund, another pup, help with vet bills, or some other benefit you'd like, then I'd consider keeping the supplements to extend the guarantee. Basically, are you willing to spend $650 for two years of the health guarantee you got in your contract? If it's worth less than that, don't bother with supplements (I'd finish off my bottle though) and put your money to better use.
Thats a really good point about the $650 mojo... I hadnt thought about it like that... The guy is an independant breeder...Not an irresponsible one by any means... He has a really good reputation for beautiful puppies and he takes very good care of his dogs... All the vets in the area know his pups as soon as they see them and talk about how good a job the breeder does... So I have no worries about his breeding or how well he cares for them, but you make a great point.. Basically I'm paying $650 dollars to extend the guarantee for a year, and it is the kind of guarantee where he'll replace the puppy or refund the money... I'd have to look into the contract again with a fine tooth comb to see any more details than that...

We'll definitely finish off the bottle we have, but that'll be the end of it I think... We read all great things about Blue Buffalo food, and hopefully the nutrition she gets in that will be more than enough...

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
hi
i had a gsd on nuvet for a year and saw nouthing
i agree as long as you are feeding a good food i would nix the nuvet and yes they do get a kick back for selling it
jamie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts