Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently Ruby is on Nutro Max Puppy food. I am aware that it is not the best food out there, but from checking ingredient lists it is as good as any of the other puppy foods in that store. It is going to be a while before I can get to another store to check out what they have, because of car trouble.

So, what would you recommend adding, if anything, to her meals to make them better for her? She is not having any problems, her coat is soft and shiny, her skin is not dry and she has plenty of energy, I just want to be sure I am doing the best I can for her.

The only thing I do at the moment is add some of the juice from ground beef, when draining the meat after I cook it and before I add anything else to it. I add enough to coat her dry food, and she loves it! She also gets a little of the cooked meat. This is at most twice a week. I think that is what has helped most with the dry skin/dandruff she had when we got her, her coat feels silky soft now.

Would she be better with some of the raw beef instead of/as well as the cooked meat? Is raw chicken a problem all like it is with humans? I have never fed raw in any form, except as bones to our old dog, and she was never that bothered about them... She would chew for a little while, then abandon it and never look back. She didn't even bother to bury them, just chewed it a little then ignored it until we cleared it up for her :p

Also, tinned fish in oil? Are the bones in any tinned fish a problem for dogs?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I fed my dog nutro for a year and a half after we adopted her as a puppy and that is what she was eating when we got her. She did excellent on it. I'm no expert on food, but my vet told me that as long as they are healthy and it works for them then go ahead and keep feeding that. Different dogs react differently to different foods. After a while I think she got bored, she just wasn't eating it as much, so then we did switch. As far as the beef... maybe someone can answer if that is too fatty for a dog and if so there are plenty of good substitues and gravys out there. I buy a few cans of dog food and once a day I mix in a spoonful with her dry food and she really enjoys it. And, one can seems to last a long time so it works out well.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Would she be better with some of the raw beef instead of/as well as the cooked meat?
Some people disagree with feeding processed food (kibble) and raw food in the same meal.

Is raw chicken a problem all like it is with humans? I have never fed raw in any form, except as bones to our old dog, and she was never that bothered about them... She would chew for a little while, then abandon it and never look back. She didn't even bother to bury them, just chewed it a little then ignored it until we cleared it up for her :p
Raw chicken is not a problem.

Also, tinned fish in oil? Are the bones in any tinned fish a problem for dogs?
The bones are fine. Personally I prefer the fish that are tinned in water.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Egg is generally a favorite. Start small, maybe mix a small spoonful of your scrambled egg before seasoning it in her morning meal. Lots of people serve raw egg and kibble together.

I am cheap, I feed whichever canned fish is cheapest but I feel guilty. Vegetable oil isn't that good for dogs and neither is the salt in the tomato sauced sardines.

If she isn't getting much raw food I would feed the hamburger cooked. It is very high in fat so go slow.

Home cooked meat is cheaper than those nice all meat dog foods so feed home cooked beef, pork and chicken. It would be a nice addition to buy the canned green tripe, venison, buffalo or other canned dog meat though.

Agree, you are happy with her growth, the food must agree with her so stay with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts