Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
749 Posts
I find it odd that consumeraffairs.com has a story on it which of course is not even a government website and the mainstream media has not said a word.

Then you have one of the people whose dog alledgedly got sick from Nutro feeding their dog Science Diet and miraculously getting better when in fact Science Diet is worse than Nutro. Have any factual links with information from the FDA other than the link listed here?

·
Registered
603 Posts
ruh roh

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I find it odd that consumeraffairs.com has a story on it which of course is not even a government website and the mainstream media has not said a word.

Then you have one of the people whose dog alledgedly got sick from Nutro feeding their dog Science Diet and miraculously getting better when in fact Science Diet is worse than Nutro. Have any factual links with information from the FDA other than the link listed here?
I take it you feed Nutro? If I were feeding Bailey Nutro (which I wouldn't) I would be more inclined to research and take precautions than to defend the food.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

There's a difference between getting sick from a food and just eating a low quality food. I'm no fan of Science Diet but there are a lot of animals eating it and seem to be fine on it. Unless you have statistics on dogs getting sick on SD...There must be something in the Nutro that is causing the dogs to be sick. If there are scientific findings that either food is causing dogs to be sick, I'm sure there would be a huge recall, especially in the Science Diet realm as it is available over the counter and from a vet.

I hope it's an isolated incident. I'm sure Nutro doesn't want any issues with their food becoming public; what company would? However, if there are any problems, it would behoove them to recall the food and inform their consumers.

·
Banned
749 Posts
I take it you feed Nutro? If I were feeding Bailey Nutro (which I wouldn't) I would be more inclined to research and take precautions than to defend the food.

I actually did some research before I posted my first response. Something of which the OP could have done also.I knew about the following links previously. I just did not post them as I am now because I wanted to see how many people here would take the false news as gospel. Like I said consumeraffairs.com is not a government website. Anything and everything can be posted because someone might have some kind of grudge.

An FDA spokesperson says, "Normally, we do not confirm or deny the existence of an investigation. In this situation, though, it's unfair to the company to leave the implication out there, so I want to state that there is NO INVESTIGATION currently underway into NUTRO products."
http://www.wxyz.com/news/local/story/FDA-No-Investigation-into-NUTRO-Pet-Food/hOoE48nKOkORqDNodwN3EQ.cspx

I Googled Nutro and then clicked the news link and found the above.

Below is another mainstream media link. The quoted text is from the google page

Nutro Foods makes both dog and cat foods sold under brand names Nutro Max, Nutro Natural Choice and Nutro Max Cat. The company has set up a hot line for ...
Then I clicked the link and came to this page:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/money/19242335/detail.html

When I went to the page from the above link I read this:

Article Not Available
The story you are trying to view is no longer available through this Web site.
Now the reason I think they pulled the article on the second link was because like people here they believe what they read and did not do the research to back it up then found out that in fact it is not true and then instead of recanting they pulled the article.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I actually did some research before I posted my first response. Something of which the OP could have done also.I knew about the following links previously. I just did not post them as I am now because I wanted to see how many people here would take the false news as gospel. Like I said consumeraffairs.com is not a government website. Anything and everything can be posted because someone might have some kind of grudge.
This OP was merely passing along information. I don't feed Nutro, never have, so no, I did not research any further. Anyone who is concerned enough is capable of doing the additional research on their own and forming their own opinions.

·
Banned
749 Posts
Your right everyone can form their own opinion. My opinion is that the story is bogus and not true. Passing along information is one thing. Passing along accurate information is another.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Your right everyone can form their own opinion. My opinion is that the story is bogus and not true. Passing along information is one thing. Passing along accurate information is another.
You are entitled to your opinion.

I did not form an opinion.

Passing along information is just that; passing along information. It is up to the individuals concerned to determine the value of that information in relation to their situation.

One of the moderators felt it worthy of posting in the dogfood recall sticky, so at the time it must have struck him as important enough to 'pass along'.

Yes, since the original postings, this information has been proven to be false. I for one am glad of that.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am also glad to hear it is false. No one wants something like that to be true. No need to be all defensive about it.
I am not being defensive, but I do take exception to the tone of the other members posts.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I work at a petco....Our Nutro rep said none of this was true and they test everybatch. I would think if they knew of any issues, they would do a recall.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I think this same sort of debate was going on right before they did the last major pet food recall.

So, lets just wait it out.

Then after the fact people will be saying "Oh, well they should have said something sooner."

Can't please everyone.

Oh, and I'm surprised a Nutro rep would defend their food. How shocking.

·
Registered
538 Posts
:rolleyes: All I meant is that if the company was indeed aware of something bad going on in the food, I think they would do a recall.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts