Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, I am feeding my puppy Kirkland Signature puppy food, since I work at Costco and it's the better of the brands there. My vet however, told me that I should put her on a large breed puppy food since she is growing very fast. I was wondering if Nutro is a good brand to put her on, of if there are some others that you guys recommend.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would say Kirkland is generally a better brand than Nutro, especially if your dog is already doing well on it. If the dog is not doing well, then, of course, it's time to find a new food.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's doing all right on the Kirkland food, it's just not specifically large breed, which is what my vet recommended. Her stool isn't diarrhea, but it's not all the way firm... it has the consistency of oh... soft serve ice cream I suppose...

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
if the main issue is that she is growing too fast, try doing 1/2 and 1/2 puppy/adult....my pups are always on straight adult food by 6-7 mo (start them going to it by 4 mo) and i have not had any problems since i started doing it this way.....it was, also, at the recommendation of my vet....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if the main issue is that she is growing too fast, try doing 1/2 and 1/2 puppy/adult....my pups are always on straight adult food by 6-7 mo (start them going to it by 4 mo) and i have not had any problems since i started doing it this way.....it was, also, at the recommendation of my vet....
Thanks, that's actually a pretty good idea. Especially since Nutro 17lb costs more than Kirkland 40lb. I'll save some money that way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Your dogs doodie shouldn't be soft like that, are ya givin her treats? If so I would avoid any treats (I know it's hard) until you rule out if it's the food or the goodies. I had to do this with my dogs.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would stay away from Nutro...I personally don't trust their company at ALL, too many recalls and too many problems they never seem to fully resolve....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your dogs doodie shouldn't be soft like that, are ya givin her treats? If so I would avoid any treats (I know it's hard) until you rule out if it's the food or the goodies. I had to do this with my dogs.
It has been like that since we brought her home, so at first I thought it was the food transition, but it's been 2 weeks now and it's still like that. And actually, I avoided treats for a while, but yesterday I took her for a nice long walk to help her get used to heeling, and I did give her treats for being good. Today though, her stool was firmer... maybe treats are doing her good lol I'll still test that theory to make sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts