Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just recently switched all our dogs to this brand. Charlie and Juno on the weight control formula and Toby and Yoshi to the grain free chicken, duck, turkey formula. So far, all are doing well. They all eat it willingly and enthusiastically.

What are your thoughts on the food/company? Any recall issues or quality issues I've not seen or heard of? So far I'm impressed with the results.

Here's the website:http://www.nutram.com/for-dogs.php

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Rice, corn, corn gluten meal in the weight control....IMO not a good food. The other one is okay but the name of the food is misleading. Duck is 10th on the list, not much duck in it.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
All my dogs when they were puppies were raised on Nutram Puppy food and I really liked it. They did well on it, had good stools and not a lot like some other puppy foods we tried. The owner of our only Pet Store does not carry it as you have to order so much at one time but he travels a couple of hours up to the only store that carries it for the Nutram food for his cat as it does so well on it and he has a choice of other good foods in his store. If the ingredients agree with your dogs I would keep using it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'm ok with the rice and corn as long as the dog does well on it. That has gotten blown way out of proportion, IMO.
I have 3 that can eat it and one that can NOT handle grains at all (mad itches and tummy trouble).

The formulas are all high in ash, I like to see it around 6.5%-7.0%.
High ash typically means that the meat meal used is high in bone... could be a lower grade meat meal. (FWIW, I learned this from a Hills nutritionist.)

I have seen a connection in my dogs with high ash (and more specifically Phosphorus) causing UTIs/urinary crystals, so I am probably hyper aware.

That said, I also don't feel like everyone has to feed their dogs a super fancy food for them to thrive. Keep feeding it and see how they do.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rice, corn, corn gluten meal in the weight control....IMO not a good food. The other one is okay but the name of the food is misleading. Duck is 10th on the list, not much duck in it.
Based on the ingredient content, I wouldn't say I like it much either but Charlie appears to be doing pretty good on it. Usually she gets greasy, smelly (feet and ears), gassy, and riddled with dandruff when she eats a food that doesn't agree with her but so far her coat is shiny and she's not farting away

I don't see how the other food is misleading though... It only has 3 sources of meat (chicken, turkey and duck) so it's not like it's lying?

My options are limited here in Ontario. Prices for quality brands range from insane to insane.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm ok with the rice and corn as long as the dog does well on it. That has gotten blown way out of proportion, IMO.
I have 3 that can eat it and one that can NOT handle grains at all (mad itches and tummy trouble).

The formulas are all high in ash, I like to see it around 6.5%-7.0%.
High ash typically means that the meat meal used is high in bone... could be a lower grade meat meal. (FWIW, I learned this from a Hills nutritionist.)

I have seen a connection in my dogs with high ash (and more specifically Phosphorus) causing UTIs/urinary crystals, so I am probably hyper aware.

That said, I also don't feel like everyone has to feed their dogs a super fancy food for them to thrive. Keep feeding it and see how they do.
The ash content of the grain free foods is 6.8-7% (31-34% protein) and I thought that was fine. I think after Charlie is finished her weight control, I'm going to put her on that formula.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Based on the ingredient content, I wouldn't say I like it much either but Charlie appears to be doing pretty good on it. Usually she gets greasy, smelly (feet and ears), gassy, and riddled with dandruff when she eats a food that doesn't agree with her but so far her coat is shiny and she's not farting away

I don't see how the other food is misleading though... It only has 3 sources of meat (chicken, turkey and duck) so it's not like it's lying?

My options are limited here in Ontario. Prices for quality brands range from insane to insane.
I meant misleading in that if a food has x, y & z in the name, I expect to see them in the first few ingredients. Maybe misleading isn't a good word, I just can't think of another.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts