Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 dogs. One is a 4 1/2 year old, spayed bully type pit. The other is a 1 1/2 year old pit/possible lab mix. I adopted him from the animal shelter, for my hubby on his birthday.

Here’s a little info... He was about 6 months old when we brought him home. BOTH are outside dogs, because landlord does not allow inside pets. They have a HUGE back yard, that used to be chain link, but we switched to privacy fence to try to avoid the issue; which I will explain in a minute. Husband's dog is VERY smart and has passed all his obedience classes with flying colors! Both dogs get walked twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening, for about 2 hours each, then they go to the dog park and play freely for an hour around noon about 2-3 days a week. I am a stay at home mom with 3 kids. Extremely active family, constantly doing something with kids and dogs. Dogs have full access to our big back yard together 98% of the day, except at night or when I am out running earns. And feeding time, which I make them stay in their 20'x20' kennel 30 mins after they eat. I do sneak them inside when its REALLY cold, extremely hot and when it storms. They have two inside kennels in our bedroom they stay in, but landlord would flip out if she found out so I keep it to only in emergencies. Kids play with them a lot during the days when its nice and I've set up a dig area that is a 5'x5' sand pit so they leave my garden area alone. I also have them both trained to CRAP in an certain area of the yard so poo is not everywhere haha! Took about 3 weeks for them to get it, but they got it! They also work on their commands and stuff usually when I get back home after their walks in the morning, for about 10-15 minutes.

However... between all I do to keep my dogs active, "the pup" as I call him when I get upset still finds the energy to yap his head off at every little thing. He barks constantly when he plays, he barks at cars (the object & the noise) the neighbors voices, he barks if he hears another dog bark, he barks if a bird enters the yard and so on and so on! Its basically nuisance barking and after dealing with it since the moment we brought him home, putting up a privacy fence, giving him bones, toys and letting him go on car rides all over the place to mix up his routine, its always the same ol thing... bark, bark, bark, bark!!

We finally bought him a Citronella collar. Worked GREAT, for about 2 hours, he hated it! Then I felt bad because if he scratched himself, shook his head, sneezed, or even moved a certain way, the dang thing would spray him in the face! Took it off, because he couldn't do anything hardly without it spraying. Tried the yard type high pitched noise that would go off when he barked, but it annoyed my female pit that didn't even do anything wrong, plus didn’t phase him at all, just her. Barking returned so we decided to buy a Petsafe static correction collar with 6 levels that intensify when he barks. I tried it on my arm to test it, it didn't hurt any worse than when the car door zaps you in the winter time. It worked for a good 3 months, then he started to realize that when the collar is off, he can bark, bark, bark. When it is put on, to be quiet. But you can only leave it on 8 hours a day. Then after that, it stopped phasing him at all, he got used to it. He is clicker trained and he knows the word “quiet“, but only responds to it when he isn't barking. The variety of treats he gets after the clicking noise is just not as interesting as the thing he is barking at, period, don't work!

My friends have suggested a remote actual SHOCK collar, but I think that is cruel! The static correction collar I had, was nothing near to an real shock. I can't hardly bare the thought of it!

I am at lost at what to do. The neighbors are starting to complain and soon, I am sure they will be calling the cops for disturbance of peace.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow he on breezed through this and seen shock collar !!!! No shock collar positive punishment will surprise the behavior not fix it... Another words by punishing the barking you will always have to punish the barking yes always shock your dog for barking for the rest of its life caus you never taught it was was the right behavior.....and it's not human. ... Do we shock our kids for screaming or talkin to much ... On think I said enough. Going to read whole post then add opinions.

First did you try and put the barking on command like say talk dog barks. Then anytime dog is barking you say no talk dog stops... Sometimes we put behaviors on cue and proof them and they never do it again into we foams it :)

Also hope where on a obedience program :) ok I'll be back

Ok see your on a training program only thing i can say is that I don't understand how you say dog understands quiet but only when not barking :) it sounds like quiet wasn't proofed where dog can discriminate and generalize that quiet means stop barking and talk means bark.

Personnaly I would try that approach again and start rewarding good behaviors. Sounds like a tough one and you probably Have to spend more time with dog to install and reward new behaviors.

Good luck ! Work on filling the trainers toolbox :)

Also try and distinguish what type of barking it is in different situations !
Excitement , fear, Warning, Alarming, playful, attention seeking

Finding out the type of bark can narrow down a solution or why ! Believe ASPCA has a nice article on types off barking.....

Wow training is much more than sits and downs :) love dogs

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe what I am going to do, is set up an area in his kennel and one in the yard, sort of like a safe place/chill out spot. He knows the word “place”. So if he is barking non stop, I will try saying “quiet”, point at his spot and saying “place” have him go over and lay down, then treat him once he is calm. Perhaps work on more distant training so I can eventually do it from the house.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The risk with the collar being on all the time is sores, because it has to be snug enough to work. So that's why the 8 hours a day advice is good.

But, you can use the collar on a different spot on the neck. I dogsat some shelties and they came with collars because they were getting trained not to bark constantly. What I had to do is move the collars up and down the neck every few hours, turn them around etc. so they weren't sitting in the same spot for too long. Pain in the but but it did work. Eventually the shelties had the collars replaced with dummy collars then the weight was slowly dropped till they just have regular collars on, but they had the working ones for quite a while so they learned never to bark.

Your dog is 'collar wise' meaning he knows he'll get corrected IF the collar is on, but if it's off, he's fine. Hunting trainers will leave the collars on 24/7 while the dogs are in training so they don't know the difference. Storee, my barker, knows what a bark collar is, so I just have to put her e collar on if she's being really noisy for whatever reason and she'll keep her comments to herself for the rest of the time she's outside. It's not even on or charged, have to dig the charger out, but still...

·
Registered
291 Posts
We have had good success stopping a sheltie from nuisance barking using a tool called a "husher" . Google it to find a supplier near you.
An alternative but similar item can be made by taking a length of dog lead and sewing it up so it looks like a narrow husher, or part of a head halter. This was effective to keep the sheltie quiet after the Husher came off.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'd also ask your landlord to come visit, and talk to him about your dogs. Show him how you have trained the dogs to go potty in only one section, and your dog's obedience cert. Offer to pay an additional deposit, if you could have the dogs in the house, maybe just in the living area/not in the bedrooms, to keep them from barking and bothering neighbors. You could offer to install a doggie door, so they won't have accidents in the home.
I rent out a bunch of homes we own, and install doggie doors in all of my homes. I do not allow outdoor only pets. In my 10 rentals, since I instituted the no outdoor pets rule, I have NEVER had one damaged from dogs. Before I refused outdoor only dogs, I had a renter that kept the dogs outside only, and they barked and bothered neighbors and she would bring them in only occasionally, and then they peed everywhere and chewed the kitchen cabinets.
So having a doggie door (you can put a storm door over the back door, and put a doggie door in the storm door. Or you can buy them with doggie doors already installed. Home Dept sells them for 234.00) Leave inside door open when you are home to allow dogs to go out. ) Close bdm doors when you aren't there. being able to go in/out will quiet the dogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts