Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired an intact male bulldog. He is approx 5-6 years old. He will be getting nuetered next month. I was wondering if being at that age would it calm him down? Make him less aggressive with my other dogs who are male and fixed? Or what changes should I expect to see? He is resource aggressive and I was also wondering if that would go away also?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I had my Rott neutered at about that age. He stopped humping everything and got slightly less uptight about guarding his territory from other dogs, and his calorie requirements dropped considerably. Other than that, not a lot of difference.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I know the anti neuter crowd will say it won't change personality/habits that late, but the 3 dogs I have had neutered at older ages, all stopped marking, and were less aggressive towards other dogs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Muggsy was neutered at the age of 6. When he had surgery for his fibrosarcoma, we figured it was a good time to do that too since he would be under. We thought dogs got calmer also, but Muggsy has actually become less friendly to other dogs since his surgery. He is still friendly w/his group of friends he already had, but he has been nothing but aggressive to any & all new dogs he meets. Girls, boys, small, large...doesn't matter, he goes nuts. He wasn't like that before the surgery. We have wanted to get another dog, but we can't with the way he's been.
He still marks a lot, but I haven't seen any, er....you know...sign of excitement ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He tried to mount my heeler once and hasn't since. And he got into a fight with my old dog last night and got his ear pretty good. Im hoping it slows him down some. He is so rambunctious at times and when the kids get all to paying rough together he gets all excited in his crate. I don't know if he just wants to play or is being an on guard dog wanting the kids to stop. I have now resorted to letting him out alone without my other dogs. He is also on guard when we go outside.. He's a great watch dog.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
what type of bull dog?

Im going to assume right now a american bulldog.

It may or may not calm him down.

How much excersise are you giving him a day? where did you get him? what type of training are youdoing with him?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He is an alapaha bulldog. He looks like an English. Very rare breed. we got him from my brother in law who couldn't have him at his apartment. I've been using the clicker with him and its helped some. He's not too interested in treats that much. We give him lots of play time a day. Maybe let him out to play 5+ x a day and we go on a two mile walk every night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts