Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it was Dinner time and my parents and I were sitting down for dinner. We have a strict rule that there are no dogs allowed in the kitchen during the making of or consuming of food, so Nubs must decide where he wants to lay down. Most of the time, he lays right in the doorway to the kitchen on a red rug which he even knows by name, but once in a while he will go through the kitchen and lay on the back porch in the sun.

Tonight was one of the nights Nubs decided to lie out on the back porch. My parents and I had just started to eat when we heard the back screen door open and gently close. All three of us looked at each other and we all knew what just happened; Nubs had just let himself out the back door.

We do not have a fenced in yard and we live next to a pretty busy street. Nubs is great about staying in the yard without leash, but the only reason I could think of Nubs actually going outside alone (we have had the door open before and he never went out it until I said he could) was to chase an animal or greet someone passing by.

So I JUMP out of my chair, and ran to the back door. I look toward the street where I think he would have ran. Nubs is NO WHERE to be seen. I get ready to yell out his name when I spot him in the side yard squatting. He had let himself outside so he could go to the bathroom!

So looks like either someone didn’t latch the door correctly OR Nubs has learned to open the back door. Either is very very possible. But Hey! At least I know He’s fully housebroken! (and yes he returned to me as soon as he was done pooping and I went crazy rewarding him for going potty outside.) :p

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smart boy that Nubster! I wonder if he would have let himself back in. Now THAT would have been a trick. Glad he was such a good boy.
HA that would be nice. If I knew what he was up too, I would have just stayed out of sight and watched what he did. He more then likely would have just came back to the door and laid in the sun. That seems to be his thing.

It just scared the heck out of me! This dog always keeps me on my toes!

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Haha thats pretty funny:) My parents cat used to open the back door to let Lucky out when she was still alive. It took us forever to figure out how she was getting out. She would go and sit by the back door, the cat would see her and go open the door for her, wether the cat was inside or outside at the time. We started locking it but the cat figured that out too. If he was inside he simply unlocked it. If he was outside and saw Lucky sitting at the door, he would go to the other door, asked to be let in and then go let her out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts