Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who says Pit Bulls can't be around other animals?? I've been working with Nubs for 5 months now to accept my parents ferrets so if one should escape he wouldn't go after them. It's getting to the point of being a success, but you can tell Nubs is a tad bit stressed out about it. He is just fine until the ferret makes a noise like sneezing or chipping then he is a little too curious and gets excited. But It's a work in progress. He'll never be allowed around them when they are running around playing, but he should know if one escapes they aren't toys.

So here are photos!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

I use Mickey as the test subject because he is the biggest and most laid back of their 3 ferrets. He could care less that there is a 60lb dog looking at him. Boo has a habit of biting Nubs and latching on. Want to talk about locking jaws? Jeeze. Takes a bit to get her to let go. Poor Nubs had his eyelid bit and she just hung on for dear life. Its the reason Nubs is so scared of them.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aww, that so neat! How did you do that?!?!
It has a lot to do with his personality and our bond. My dad and I have been working with him near their cage a lot. We from day one didn't allow him to charge the cage and he had to be respectful of it. Over a matter of a month Nubs started to approach the cage calmly and we rewarded that. It helps that the ferrets leave yummy treats all over the house when they are out to play so he learned that their smell = yummy treats.

Then we started taking them out of the cage and holding them when he was around where he could see them but not touch them.

When that was going well, I took Nubs for a LLOOONNNGGG walk to tire him out and then took him into the ferret room and let the 3 ferrets out on to a stool. That's when he first really got to meet them nose to nose. This was 2 weeks ago. Boo boo bit him on the eye and wouldn't let go so he quickly learned that these ferrets aren't something to mess with.

Now I try weekly to bring Micky out and let him run around with Nubs in the room. Sharp "no's" and glares keeps Nubs in place no issues at all. He listens to me REALLY well. He knows not to press his luck with me because he'll have to deal with my wrath.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Awww, summer has the same look as the first one whenever Scout the chinchilla is out. LOL

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what do you think he would have done if the first time he met them they were out of the cage?
Without the training? I know for a fact he would have snapped at one of them and killed them. When we first introduced him to the cage he went nuts trying to get to them, snapping at the cage and such. We would have had dead ferrets. He has a very high prey drive, he'll even go after small dogs if I allow him to get too excited.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Without the training? I know for a fact he would have snapped at one of them and killed them. When we first introduced him to the cage he went nuts trying to get to them, snapping at the cage and such. We would have had dead ferrets. He has a very high prey drive, he'll even go after small dogs if I allow him to get too excited.
You've shown me that there's hope! :)

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
You sure can tell he's not thrilled with them being so near him...poor Nubs. But he's a good boy and I'm proud of him. Give him a smooch on the top of his head for me! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts