Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I'm looking for advice regarding my 7 and half month old puppy Suki. She is wonderful, very quick to learn, people are constantly surprised how well behaved she is for being so young

I am having a problem with her telling me she needs to go. At home its not such an issue because I can put her outside periodically and she goes. But if I am not watching her every move I miss the tiny little signal she gives and then she goes in the house.

My biggest problem is when I take her to other people's house, especially my boyfriend where the yard isn't fenced in, so I can't just put her out for bit.

I've tried everything, lots of walks, giving treats, praising. I taught her the bell. Two days after I put the bell up I noticed she was going over to it like she knew what it was for, but she will only sniff the bell, or barely move it. Which if I'm not watching her like a hawk I don't hear or see. I've stopped using the bell because I moved in with my grandparents to be their caretaker and they listen to tv's sooo loud I don't think I would hear it even if she gave it a good ring.

She is great about holding it all night until I wake up. She even will hold it when I kennel her and leave the house. She's been alone 4 1/2 hours before and no pee.

Its like she is at her worst when I am at home, or she is at other people's homes with me. She is so quiet and sneaky about it. Right after she goes she comes up to me with the I'm guilty I've done something wrong look.

How do I get her to give me a real signal she needs to go and not the guilty signal after its too late?

·
Banned
749 Posts
Try to figure out how many hours it is between when she goes and come up with a schedule. She may tell you and she may not. We had a dog years ago that would sit at the door and would not go until you let her out to go. My sister has a dog that sits at the door also but if you don't see her sitting at the door and she has been sitting more than 5 minutes at the door, better get out the mop.

You need to figure out what her signal is. Lola comes up to me and sits on the floor just looking at me. the first time I had her at my sisters house, she ran up the stairs and left a present :eek:. Fortunately it was not a wet one.

·
Registered
482 Posts
But if I am not watching her every move I miss the tiny little signal she gives and then she goes in the house.
Until she learns to give you more obvious signals on a consistent basis, you have to watch every move she makes so you don't miss the little ones. ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
My husband and I were just talking about this because I was reading a book called Successful Dog Adoption. The author claims (in the section on house training) that less than half of dogs tell you when they have to go. My husband and I both found this hard to believe because in our experience, dogs tell their owner when they need to go out. The author also said most of the ones that do tell also tell you when they want to go out and play or just to smell stuff. He claimed that it was better to take out the dog on a schedule and not have them tell you at all. He may have a point there. It may be more convenient to set a schedule that a dog can depend on than to be at their beck and call. So maybe there's a bright side if your dog can't tell you. If you always take her out before she needs to go at least she won't be telling you she wants out when she just wants to go sniff rocks and trees. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts