Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a little back story on Shema, I got her from someone who basically kept her in a kennel all the time. To the point she basically learned it's OK to go potty in it. Heck, she was even left outside in her kennel all day no food/water till I was able to pick her up that evening. :(

Now because she has learned it's OK to go in her area, I honestly don't know how to break her of that. She also doesn't seem to go a long with the theory of a pup being able to hold it an hour per month of age they are.
We take her out, she goes, we bring her in. Maybe 5-10 mins later with no warning she squats and goes again. We immediately tell her no and put her back outside. But it seems to have no affect on her. When she is in her puppy pen, sometimes she will start whining and being restless or even pacing and I know she has to go so I let her out. Other times she simply just squats and goes even by her food/water bowls. -_-

IMO, it seems she doesn't understand to hold it during the day when everyone is up. At night, she does just fine. She'll sleep 7-8 hrs without waking us and no accident's in her kennel. She only woke us up the first 2-3 nights we had her.

I'm home basically 24/7. I take her out regularly, even when she doesn't act like she needs out, just to give her the chance to go. I give her yummy treats and highly praise when she does go outside.
She gets a walk (not a long one since she is a young pup, it's maybe 5-10 mins) every other day. Would be everyday but I am on dialysis and on those days I'm to drained to do it. But she gets plenty of play and training time in there as well.

I've helped raise and potty train quite a few puppies before. I've never had a pup with this issue. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
She's still really young. Its not uncommon for dogs to hold it OK at night at that age as body functions slow down a lot whilst sleeping but also have potty accidents during the day because they have very little time between needing to go and getting the signal in their brain that they a)need to go and b)need to ask to go out

One little tweak to your routine--
We take her out, she goes, we bring her in. Maybe 5-10 mins later with no warning she squats and goes again. We immediately tell her no and put her back outside.
Since it sounds like she has gone inside after 5-10 minutes on more than one occasion, then adjust your routine to acknowledge that pattern. Bring her inside like you have been doing after her pee and either crate her for 5 minutes or have her on a leash and in your sight for 5 minutes. Take her back outside and give her 5 minutes to see if she pees again.

"No" doesn't really do much of anything, if you aren't actually interrupting her while peeing then just ignore it and clean up and move along. If you catch her peeing, try a soft "ah ah" or "meep meep" or other not scary sound to get her attention and swoop her outside.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We do catch her and interrupt it.

As for being in our sight or on leash, she is. If we aren't physically watching her or interacting, she is in the puppy pen.

I will start taking her out again after 5 mins and see if that helps

I know she is still a baby and still has to learn, she is just doing the habits like peeing in her pen and by her food, that I never had to deal with before and was at a lost on how to stop it.

While I can catch her in the act and correct it when watching/interacting with her. I'm not 100% watching when she is in the pen because of other things I have to do, so I can't catch her and correct the behavior.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
She is VERY young. The object is to make going outside rewarding. I feed a bit of food too when they go outside (sometimes as they are going) at this age. I do not consider a puppy house broken until a year old. It is like that...

Most German shepherds are fastidious. Yours is simply a very little baby at only 12 weeks old.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I get it, I do. I've had GSD before.

She's just given me a situation I hadn't dealt with before.

But just in the last couple days, following what Shell said, she's done a lot better.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I'd recommend going to a vet and checking for a UTI. Everyone else gave great training suggestions, but it's not uncommon for puppies (and especially females) to get a UTI. Also, it sounds like your pup was not well cared for in the previous home. Puppies cannot hold it in like adults can, but they try their very best. And if your pup tried really hard to keep her space clean and ultimately soiled in it, the stress, unsanitary conditions, and possible lack of stimulation are all factors that can lead to UTI.

It is relatively easy and affordable to rule this out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We had her checked
That was one of the first things we did after getting her. I was worried she would have something, especially since they didn't get her shots or worm her. All they did was treat for fleas. Thankfully, she is healthy :)

She's actually doing a lot better with it after following the suggestions her. I definitely appreciate all the help :)

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Glad to hear she is improving! Best of luck :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts