Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So before I start this post, I just don't want to be attacked..

we got a new puppy back in June. He is 16 weeks old now. He is a great dog.. He's shy of strangers, and really, really hyper, and stubborn. We've had a hard, I mean HARD time with potty training him. He gets so distracted while outside on a leash, that he rarely goes potty, which in turn ends up with him in his crate ALOT.. We do not let him out to wander the house until he goes potty.. Usually, I feel bad and let him out for a bit anyawy, and he ALWAYS goes potty in the house. We have tried standing outside with him in his pee spots for 20-30 minutes, and we have tried walks around the block, etc.. it doesn't seem to matter.. But what is bothering me is that he really annoys our other dog. .she's hardly eating.. maybe a cup of food every 2 days or so (she's a yorkie) and she has started giving herself a hotspot..also, he wont quit playing with her and it drives her insane. I thought she would get used to him, but she still seems depressed and mopey, and isn't eating the way she should and we got him in June. I work and my husband is at home, but honestly, I don't think he has the time that our puppy needs to be trained. I have contemplated on finding him a new home, and I REALLY don't want to, and my husband doesn't want me to either, but it just seems unfair.. unfair to him, and to our other dog who just hasn't gotten past us getting him...what should I do? I'm not an irresponsible dog owner, I'm not but our circumstances I just don't know if getting a puppy was the best idea at the time.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you can find a great home for him, where he will be well trained and taken care of, I do think it in the best interest of the puppy to be rehomed. UNLESS you and your hubs can commit more time to potty training. Do you have a fenced yard? I have a 6 month old Papillon puppy that has been VERY hard to potty train. The fenced in yard helps. And I *think* he finally knows that "peepee" means "go pee outside, then we get cheese as a treat". lol I follow him around and I have for the past 4 months, watching for him to pee or poo. When he does one, as he's going I say, "good boy go peepee" over and over. Then we run to the back door for his cheese or hotdog pieces. I only use cheese or hotdogs for potty training as they are the "most awesomest treats" in his opinion. I also cant carry them outside with me because he turns into "pogo puppy" constantly bouncing up and down trying to the get the treat and he wont go pee. If you dont have a back yard, carry a good treat with you, and when he does go, use the words peepee (or whatever you prefer) and treat him heavily with something outrageously good. It will take ALOT of repetition, but he will start to associate the words and treats with the actions.

Also, he is bugging your older dog so much because he is a hyper puppy with LOTS of energy to burn. If you find ways to wear him out, he wont bother your older dog as much. Now is when your older dog needs the most attention you can give her. If you wear out your puppy, and give the older one extra attention and one on one time, possibly hand feeding her to re-establish your bond with her, she may come around.

I have 6 cats. All rescues. All different ages and from different situations. Three love our pap puppy, the youngest kitten thinks it's funny to hide and scare the poop out of our puppy, and the other two have NEVER been around dogs so they are terrified. It's taken one of the two 4 months to slowly get used to Dexter (our puppy) and now he actually plays with him some. My point is that it has taken him 4 months to get to this point. Some animals just take longer to adjust. I still make time every day to love on and rub and spend time with every kitty.

This all takes ALOT of time and committment. My husband frustrates me endlessly when he justs puts Dexter outside and expect him to pee. Dex will sit outside the door and stare inside until someone lets him in, then he pees in the kitchen floor. lol I have thankfully retrained my husband a little, so that he KNOWS it's not Dexter's fault for peeing in the floor, since my hubs should have gone outside with him, walked into the yard and made sure that he peed. Then Dex gets free time with us to run around the house. My hubs loves and wants Dexter, but he wants him to magically be potty trained. When I find the magic wand that accomplishes this feat, I will most definately pass it on to you. :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm not so sure about re-homing. :)

Here are some questions you can ask yourself and answer here if you'd like:

Can you use an ex-pen/baby gates/doors/ to give the adult dog her space periodically throughout the day?

What's your exercise routine with your new puppy and your adult dog?

What are you doing to wear the puppy out mentally and stimulate your adult dog?

Do you have puzzle toys for feeding?

Can you tether him to you inside rather than use his crate while potty training?

How do you train both of them?

How much alone time do you have with each dog?

Is your husband willing to step up his interactions with the dogs?

Can you walk them separately for 30-45 minutes twice a day? (DH goes one way, I go the other. When he's out of town, I really get my exercise!)

I suggest going back to Potty Training 101, reading Ian Dunbar's 2 books (even though you already have your puppy, read both as a start- they are useful and brief), and walking/training your dogs separately as much as possible.

Also, a wonderful little pamphlet from Karen Pryor just became available for only $6-7, in ebook format. Feeling Outnumbered. You can check her website.

I hope you will take the time ot answer these questions here, and maybe get more help from the community- sans attacks. :)

Thanks for posting.

So before I start this post, I just don't want to be attacked..

we got a new puppy back in June. He is 16 weeks old now. He is a great dog.. He's shy of strangers, and really, really hyper, and stubborn. We've had a hard, I mean HARD time with potty training him. He gets so distracted while outside on a leash, that he rarely goes potty, which in turn ends up with him in his crate ALOT.. We do not let him out to wander the house until he goes potty.. Usually, I feel bad and let him out for a bit anyawy, and he ALWAYS goes potty in the house. We have tried standing outside with him in his pee spots for 20-30 minutes, and we have tried walks around the block, etc.. it doesn't seem to matter.. But what is bothering me is that he really annoys our other dog. .she's hardly eating.. maybe a cup of food every 2 days or so (she's a yorkie) and she has started giving herself a hotspot..also, he wont quit playing with her and it drives her insane. I thought she would get used to him, but she still seems depressed and mopey, and isn't eating the way she should and we got him in June. I work and my husband is at home, but honestly, I don't think he has the time that our puppy needs to be trained. I have contemplated on finding him a new home, and I REALLY don't want to, and my husband doesn't want me to either, but it just seems unfair.. unfair to him, and to our other dog who just hasn't gotten past us getting him...what should I do? I'm not an irresponsible dog owner, I'm not but our circumstances I just don't know if getting a puppy was the best idea at the time.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
titiamor has some great suggestions. There's two things going on here.

1. under 6 months, puppies have no sense for when they have to pee. The nervous system doesn't develop this until around 6 months. Up until 6 months, house training is a matter of management. Are you cleaning with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle? Soap and water doesn't clean up the smell, and if a dog can smell it, they figure that's an appropriate place to go. It's also useful to write down when you feed, walk, play, etc. and when he goes, it might help you see a pattern.

2. adult dogs will not correct a puppy under 5 or 6 months. so your adult dog is being constantly harrassed and cannot do anything to stop it. you have to. if you can't directly supervise an interaction (and redirect any bad behavior), then separate the dogs. you can use baby gates or leash the little one or put him in a crate or different room. Simply allowing the younger dog to harass the older one isn't acceptable.

I would take the older dog to the vet. This may just be a coincidence of time, and she got sick around the same time, but it's not caused by the puppy. You should investigate that.

As to rehoming, if you are going to do it, and I don't think it's necessary, do it now, while he's still a puppy. Adult dogs are far harder to place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts