Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I posted here about a week ago..we adopted a dog last Saturday and we had found out she was diagnosed with Whipworm...Fast forward to this week...We took her to the vet yesterday and she is gaining weight and he said she looked good yesterday!! We were excited! However we started the second dose of Panacur yesterday and now my dog has loose stools and she has peed in my house 3 times since Friday...Also she does not want to eat..She usually eats right when she gets up in the morning but it has been 2 hours and she isn't touching her food. Last night we were laying in bed and my dog was snoring away and all of a sudden she started breathing VERY hard..her whole body was moving..it almost seemed like she was trying to get something out of her stomach but nothing was coming...We woke her up and stood her up and she stopped and she was fine...however she woke us up 2 more times through the night doing the same thing..I thought maybe she was hot so we took a blanket off of her..she likes to sleep with a blanket :) Anyways.. I really want to call the vet but they aren't there until tomorrow..I just want her to be okay and eat and be healthy :( Could it be the panacur that is taking away her appetite?? And that is causing her to all of a sudden regress and pee in my house? Thank you so much!! Kristen

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have treated several dogs with panacur (and one of them was for whipworm) and panacur didn't cause any loose stool or peeing in the house. My vet actually prescribes panacur for excessive loose stool. This is definitely something to bring up to the vet. It could be she ate something she shouldn't have (maybe something in the yard) or her diet isn't agreeing with her. She is probably not eating because her stomach is upset. When my dogs have a bout of loose stool, I don't feed them for 12-24 hours and then give them a mix of boiled chicken and white rice (no seasoning on anything) until they have a normal bowel movement and then gradually mix that with kibble until they are back to full kibble.

As for the sleeping issue, that sounds like she's just in REM sleep which is completely fine. My dogs will start breathing hard, snorting, running on their side, barking, etc. in their sleep a couple of times a week. I guess it could be an issue of something more serious, but if she acted fine when she woke up then she was probably just having an exciting dream. This state of sleep usually only lasts for a couple of minutes at the most then they go back to a normal state of sleep.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! The Loose stools didn't start until yesterday after her first dose of the Panacur :( I am just going to watch that for now..I need her to eat to take her medicine so I am hoping her appetite comes back. As far as the sleep issue..she didn't do it anymore after the 3 times and was fine the rest of the night..so that could be it. Thank you again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts