Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I recently purchased what was pitched as a King Charles Cocker Spaniel but I'm wondering if she is a mixed breed. Looking at other Cocker's they are usually shorter and puffier but mine is quite long. Here are a couple pics. She is 8 months old. Any opinions would be welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
If she was sold as a King Charles Cocker Spaniel, I'd guess she is a Cavalier x Cocker spaniel. From the pictures, I could believe it. Usually it's called Cockalier, but same thing. It's a designer breed, like a puggle or labradoodle - so a mix technically even though some people view it as a breed. As far as I know, there isn't a King Charles Cocker Spaniel, just the King Charles Cavalier - but, I could be wrong because I've never really looked into it.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
She's adorable!

I love spaniels and have a couple of spaniel type mutts. My younger one is quite a brat, don't let her rule the roost the way Bucky did in his previous home, see Bucky's thread in the Grooming forum.

There are Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, American Cocker Spaniels and English Cocker Spaniels as well as a number of other spaniel breeds. No such thing as a King Charles Cocker Spaniel unless it is a cross between a CKCS and an Cocker Spaniel. Have you come across the spaniel cross called the Cockalier yet?

Maybe her fuzz will start growing in a bit or maybe it was trimmed before you bought her. My previous spaniel mix [probably lab/spaniel] came home at 8 months with a scraggly feathered tail and rump but soon enough he developed long feathering on ears and front legs as well and I had to trim his hairy feet weekly.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Looks like a King Charles spaniel to me. Dogs will usually grow more coat at they get older.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Not a purebred Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, that's for sure. The head is different (you can check out one of our member's cavaliers on her site). Looks like a Cocker Spaniel/Cavalier mix, as others have said. If it was sold to you as a King Charles Cocker Spaniel, then it looks like you got exactly what you paid for!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts