Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a new Australian Cattle Dog pup. He's 8 weeks and some odd days old right now. The breeder has said not to allow him near other dogs or at public parks, or even around the neighborhood until his parvo vaccine regiment is completed which should be around the beginning of September.

Is this correct? Most of my reading has stressed the necessity of socialization with people and especially other dogs.

I'm getting contradictory advice here, and being a first time dog owner have no idea which advice to heed.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Find a good training club in your area. They usually offer puppy kindergarten, which is an excellent way to socialize your puppy safely. Make sure that they require current vaccines and fecal exams. (All good trainers do.) Have fun and enjoy your new puppy.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The advice is intended for common dog areas like dog parks and strange/unknown dogs. You can meet all the other people you want including kids, car washes, bikes, elevators, take to the office, play with other vaccinated puppies...that includes puppy kindergarten classes, your mothers dogs, your brothers cats.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh, good! That clears lots up for me! I thought it seemed a little bit strange, and am glad I asked.

Thanks for the answers! I really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
150 Posts
My vet recommended not to even walk my little puppy until he was around 12 - 16 weeks, even though he's supposed to be getting his last Parvo vaccine next week. I guess its because they can't get their rabies vaccine until 16 weeks?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Yes you should socalize your pup, but at the same time you don't want to expose it to unkown diseases that can potentialy kill it. Socalizing with known vacinated dogs in clean areas is best. Avoid places where unknown, unvacinated, or sick dogs have been. Not every single germ can be avoided, i.e. having to go to the vet or into a pet supply store; if that's the case then it's best carry your pup and be aware of the surfaces you'r toucing and how clean they may be. Once your pup has finished it's series of puppy shots, usualy around 16 weeks, then your fine to start taking your pup around town and don't have to carry it everywhere ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts