Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made an earlier post about my neighbour’s Siberian Husky living her life outside all day ever since she outgrew her puppy phase. Today while doing some yardwork along their side of our shared fence, I don’t think she’s ever been socialized or seen other people/dogs before. I always let my dogs outside with me in the backyard unless certain circumstances arise. I noticed the husky peeking into our backyard this morning by standing on top of some tires in the neighbour’s backyard. Curious and trying to appear calm and friendly, I approached since my dachshund had taken notice and wasn’t having it that an unknown dog was “intruding on her territory”. I noticed that as soon as the dogs and I got close to the fence, she took off and would appear almost shy and frightened. Im sure my dachshund’s barking didn’t help matters at all, so I took her inside and just had me and the frenchie outside since he’s fairly ignorant of other dogs and couldn’t care less about such things. Even with just me, she would run away and be hesitant to get closer to the fence. I’ve never seen an unsocialized dog in our neighbourhood before and was wondering if this could be considered signs of an unsocialized dog.

Also, I feel bad for the poor thing every time I take my dogs out to do their business and see her looking pitiful in the backyard alone all day. Would it be unwise for me to approach my neighbours about walking and socializing their dog? They’re nice people, but I don’t think they really understand how to take care of a dog properly, let alone a husky. I just don’t want to step out of line when looking out for the well-being of this dog is all.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
How old is the dog now?

Socializing properly is hard enough with a puppy, but even harder with an older puppy/adult dog. For a fearful dog, socializing would mean not pushing her at all - ie, walks may not be a good idea if there are lots of other people/dogs around right off the bat. Depending on how secluded she has been, it may be difficult to even get a leash on her and that could take some work and time to accomplish without traumatizing her.

If I were set upon walking the dog, I definitely wouldn't as them if I could 'socialize' their dog. That could put them on the defensive if they take it like you thinking you could raise the dog better than they are. I'd probably say something along the lines of "my dogs seem to have taken a liking to yours and I was wondering if you'd like to join us on our walks in the evening, or if you'd like me to walk her a few times a week?"

I agree with you that the life that dog has is no life for a dog, but at the end of the day, there are definitely dogs who have it worse.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts