Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend and I have had our pup, Ruby, for almost a month now and we absolutely adore her; however...I can't remember the last time I had a full night of sleep. This isn't surprising - we totally expected this, but we anticipated the lack of sleep lasting for as long as house training was going on. She's got the hang of house training, though and has no problem going out before bed and after our alarm in the morning. The problem we're having is the noise she makes in her kennel at night.

Ruby sleeps in her kennel next to our bed at night and, lately, she's been waking up several times a night (and always at least half an hour before the alarm goes off); she doesn't whine or want to be let out or anything of that nature, but she sits there and plays with her toys in her kennel. We've tried looking for toys that she won't destroy without supervision and that are quiet, but - let's be real - there are no quiet toys.

I'm looking for advice in the following areas if anyone has any to offer:

1) Is there anything we can do to help her sleep through the night? I can't imagine she doesn't get enough exercise because we spend almost the entire evening playing with her or distracting her with chew toys (so our hands aren't her object of choice) or doing a bit of training (another way to make our hands less appealing). We've even tried to keep her awake in the evening, so she'll sleep at night, but, while a tired puppy is a good puppy, an overtired puppy is a menace.

2) We have tried making her wire kennel more den-like by putting a blanket over it, but she's been crafty and pulled the blanket into her kennel to chew on it (this has been during the day, though - not at night). Any tips on how to attach the blanket to her wire kennel so that the blanket is pulled taut and she can't pull it in to her kennel? Either that or we're going to try and fashion a way of draping the blanket so that it's hanging a couple inches from the sides and back of her kennel.

3) If we can't help her sleep through the night, we'd be willing to consider moving her kennel to the spare bedroom at night, but we would like to make that transition as smooth as possible for her. Any tips on accomplishing that (with a minimal amount of whining)?

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
It's normal, and possible solutions depend on the individual dog.

How old is she? If under 6 mos, she may still have accidents. If around 5 mos, she may be teething.

How large/ what breed? Sometimes larger dogs can have longer bladder control.

So...
1. Bluntly, it is difficult to get a dog to sleep through the night. You can try tiring them during the day, and trying to keep them awake ... but a tired pup can sleep standing up, or falling into the food dish :) Walk her for 15 min. before bedtime ... it may help. And, be sure to keep a regular schedule, which she will grow into.

2. No easy way to drape a cloth in a foolproof way to thwart a determined pup.

3. I vote for moving her crate ... and just do it. She should stop whining (if she even starts whining at all), after about 3 nights... She can try giving her a frozen, stuffed Kong to chew on in the crate before she goes to sleep.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ruby is almost 14 weeks and she's an Australian Cattle dog (with a little Akita/mixed breed thrown in there). Thanks for the advice!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts