Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since day 2 (day 1 that we had Chloe she slept in the living room) we have let our dogs sleep in bed with us. it wasnt so bad when we had Chloe since i had to monitor her fever all night and make sure she was breathing, etc. then Lexi came along and of course, i couldnt let Chloe sleep in bed and not Lexi... since then both girls have grown and so did our bed. we upsized to a california king size bed. well the other night, i just couldnt stand it anymore. Lexi HAS to lay on top of me... theyre constantly moving around, etc. so i kicked them out:(

last night was the second night they have been out of bed. theyre doing OK, but at like...6am, they start to cry to come to bed... as much as im getting a better sleep at night, its sooooo hard to make them sleep in the living room. they have about 6 blankets that they use, but still, i feel like im being a bad mommie!:( anyone else ever do this? should it be this hard, or am i just too wrapped up in my pups?

ETA: the other night i was sick, and had a fever so i slept on the couch at my mothers house (my apartment is connected to my mothers garage). SO said that Lexi freaked out all night long, she would get in bed, sleep a little, wake up, search the house for me crying, then get a toy and chew on it in bed for comfort....

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Its okay to make them sleep outside of the bed. I just recently began allowing my two in the bed (queen size) and it was just toooo small for all four of us. I got two beds (i'll be posting my picture thread soon) and put them on my side of the bed right next to me. They slept there all night the first few nights. Now, Mac sleeps next to me in the bed most of the night and Roe sleeps on her bed, but gets up in the bed during the night if she wants. HOWEVER, if I'm uncomfortable...I make them get down.

You aren't too wrapped up..I know it's great to have them there and snuggle. but, you got to take care of yourself...and they will live. Mac'n'Roe can only have access to their beds while I'm there (otherwise they will tear them up)...but they haven't even tried mouthing them so far (knock on wood).

I feel your pain.

·
Registered
437 Posts
That is sweet that you are that attached to your dogs and them to you! (And I thought I was the only freak out there! lol) Just think how much better your nights will be after you get through this transition.

I went through the same thing with my baby when it just became too much for her to be in our bed. It made it easier for me when I heard a horror story about a dog that got hurt real bad and went crazy when it was placed in a create causing it more problems. My vet said it went crazy because the poor dog had never been away from its family and never been put in a cage. So, now my dog sleeps in her own bed at night and in a create a couple of times a week. I just want her to be "well rounded" in case of an emergency.

·
Banned
749 Posts
The day I bought a crate for Lola was the last time she slept in my bed. She cried, started taking her paws and flipping the fleece mat, started pawing at the crate wire and started panting. It was that way for about 2 weeks and I told her every night that's her bed and this is mine.

I used to have to put her into it every night until one evening I was talking to my sister on the phone and I was telling her that I bought a crate for Lola to sleep in. Lola was in the living room and that is where I was talking to my sister from. As soon as I said that to her Lola got up and went into her crate on her own and went to sleep. I was pleasantly surprised that a miracle had taken place and was really happy it did.

With her previous owner she slept in her bed from the time she was a puppy until I adopted her when she was a year old.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts