Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I am a bit worried about our 13 week old toy poodle who doesn't eat very much of his food. After being weaned, he was on Wellness Puppy kibble at my brother's house but the food was out all day since they are not doing scheduled feedings. Well, when I got him, I put him on 4 meals a day schedule (now 3 meals) but wanted to switch food since he was experiencing a lot of loose stool. Besides, he didn't seem to like Wellness and we had to hand feed him a lot since he was barely interested. During the food switch, I mixed in chicken and rice since he had such bad diahrea and he seemed to LOVE the mix and ate 3 healthy servings of it the 2 days he was on it. I gradually mixed in kibble and now he is on Royal Canin for small puppies and stool looks much better. Anyway, the problem is he doesn't seem to like kibble that much. The only way I can tempt him to look at his food bowl is when I mix in a quarter-size chicken piece diced. Then he'll eat all the chicken, a bit of the kibble but leaves most of it. With 3 feedings a day, I think he is getting maybe 1/4 cup of kibble, if that, in him all day!

That seems not enough. He is almost 6 lbs. now. Should I be worried?
He seems interested in wet food or table food. Do you think I should mix in wet food to entice him or bear this out and kind of force him to eat kibble only? I have been to 2 different pet stores and they seem to discourage me from starting on the canned food habit. What do you think?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I'd opt for moistening the kibble in warm water first. That not only softens it but, releases the aroma and flavor.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
When I first got Donatello, he ate his food happily for two weeks, then would rarely eat... I tried water, he'd sniff it and walk off; I tried broths, both beef and chicken, he at that for about week, then he'd start sniffing it and walk off; I tried a raw egg in with his food, that worked three times. -.- Then I tried starting over with water and he would hardly give it a sniff before walking off.

Then I gave up and told him he'd just have to eat his kibble dry because I'm tired of wasting food... He'd eat about a cup of dog food every other day, if that!

That went on for almost a month and seeing that there was nothing medically wrong with him, I was dumbfounded. Then I started mixing in just small portions of soft dog food in with his kibble... We're on the third straight week! He eats two cups of dog food once a day now! He eats every bite and licks his bowl clean...

Since adding the soft dog food, he's been sleeping a lot more soundly and he's been much less restless. He still only poops once a day, or once every other day; We went through a "soft-poo" transition, but that only lasted two or three days.

I feed him soft canned dog food that corresponds to his kibble.

I'm not really saying that's a way to go, because some people don't believe in using "soft-dog" food, but every dog is different, and every dog has different needs. So if you're meeting their needs and they're still just as healthy, I don't see the harm in it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Trout would NOT eat when I got him home, so I started mixing a little bit of that nasty canned wet food. Just a TINY bit chopped up, then add hot water, stir, and let it sit and soak. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for replying to my thread. I just LOVE this forum and for the quick, thoughtful responses I have received.

I will try wetting the kibble first - thank you TonneyDogs! If that doesn't work after a few days, I will try adding canned food (a spoonful or two) with his kibble as deege39 and Beki659 have implied.

Mainly, I wanted to thank the forum for existing. It's been a great find since becoming a first time puppy parent!

·
Registered
110 Posts
It is a great place! Just a caution, I would advise against putting too much wet food in. I generally use about half a spoonful, and that seems to be plenty to get the job done.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The kibble is really small but thank you for your post. Tonight, I added some warm water to his kibble and a dash of diced chicken and he ate a bit more kibble than usual and all the chicken. So I'll keep this up and see how it goes.

I finally was able to add a photo to my sign in. Wanted to show the forum our pup and one of my cats! Thanks again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Try putting some healthy people food in mixed in with his kibble like: apples, bananas, cottage cheese, plain yogurt, and carrots. Our dog was tired of his plain food too and this worked for us. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oops, no photo with my name in the previous post. I am really not too good with the computer. Here is what I wanted to add with my sign in name... Here's Hugo (our pup) and Diamond (my cat!):p

Attachments

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Ever since we got our 1 yr old spayed...she doesn't eat much :( I will sometimes, maybe every other day, add something yummy to her food. Like a little chicken, cheese, etc. Then she'll usually eat the whole thing (like 2 cups). I don't really like doing this...but I prefer her eat than continue to lose weight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts