Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've never had a dog that wasn't interested in chewing :) But we got a Springer Spaniel and he's about 10 wks old. We're training using Ian Dunbars techniques. We bought plenty of age appropriate Kongs and hoped to use him to love his crate, to use them to nibble on when he's in his crate by himself, etc etc. They're stuffed with food but he's not touching them. We just brought him home yesterday so I'm thinking he is still adjusting? I know I should give it more time of course but does are there any suggestions of things to do to attract his attention to them? We are offering his kibble by hand only as he learns his 'potty' area so he's getting some food but overall isn't acting too hungry, leaving some of the fallen kibble from his chew toys on the bottom of his crate.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
He absolutely is still adjusting. He's nervous about all the changes. He may not be terribly food-motivated at this time.

I would spend some time with him in my lap and maybe put a little p-nut butter or cream cheese on the end of a chew toy and maybe play with it with him to get him interested in it. Praise him when he puts his mouth on it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I wondered the same thing about my new puppy. She wouldn't chew any rawhides at 9 & 10 weeks. She's 12 weeks now and chews them like crazy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts