Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Benny. I'm 14 years old. It's nice to meet everybody :)

My family adopted a 1-year-old beagle girl a few days ago. This is my first puppy (not my first dog, though.) She isn't the greatest with cats -- she appears to want to play, but howls (as beagles do) when the cats hiss at her. Can Sallie be trained to stop doing this? I began clicker training and she responds well to the clicker. She's learning 'sit' and starting to catch on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The best thing to do would to keep her one a leash and near you at all times. Teach her that she needs to be calm when the cats are nearby (sit or down) and give her treats for calm behavior. We're currently working on this with Trouble as well.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Dogs are very excited by cats at first. It's normal! They will get it sorted out. Once a cat has given the dog a good smack on the nose a couple times to establish boundaries things should get better. Has she had a chance to smell the cats yet? My cats are good and won't freak out and maul me when I do this, so with the dog on leash being held by someone else (or tethered around a heavy piece of furniture) I kneel down with the cat and present it butt-first to the dog. Dogs really want to smell cats. I do butt-first because 1) the cat can't scratch, 2) if the dog does try to nip it's better to have a nip on a fluffy butt than a face, and 3) butts are where dogs want to smell. Makes sure the leash is not completely tight but there should be just a tiny bit of slack. Watch the dog for signs of aggression like very stiff body posture, leaning forward, ears up, and a closed mouth. Once the dog has had a good sniff for a couple minutes I gently set the cat down so it can walk away. I let the dog follow it calmly. I have introduced my cats to many, many dogs this way and only one has ever tried to nip. If you are really worried about the dog nipping the cat then do this same thing but with a baby gate, screen door, xpen, or some other barrier between them.

Make sure the cats have plenty of places they can go to get away like up cat trees or behind/on top of furniture.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts