Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poodle seems to have problem pooping. She strains pretty long before her poo gets out probably a good 5 - 10 seconds. And sometimes a little bit of poo will remain in the anus and she resorts to dragging her butt on the floor in an effort to get it out. Can you imagine the mess she creates? It's like crayons being scribbled all over but it's poo....:redface: And her butt is a big mess and I have to wash off all the poo...

Is it normal to have poo stuck in the butt? Could it be due to the fur catching the poo there? Or is it due to insufficient water?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
How much water is she getting? What kind of food do you feed her? Is her back end clipped short?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not too sure how much. Judging from her time spent at the water bowl probably 1 cup to 1 and a half. She's on kibble, sometimes I mix in some wet food. The groomer did shave the fur from around her anus but not the entire butt.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Add a couple of heaping tablespoons of pure (not spiced pie filling) canned pumpkin to her food for fiber. It's great for constipation or diarhea, and balances things out.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I was wondering if you were restricting her water or something. If she has free access she probably drinks enough. What brand of kibble?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She was on Brit Care but I just switched her to Wellness Core.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My vet also suggested 1 tsp Bran Buds/day to bulk out my dogs poo as he won't touch the pumpkin. He eats raw and his poo was just not enough to activate the anal gland secretion. The bran has worked great so far, dog likes it and its easy to use as a supplement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts