Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some doggy mama advice:

I changed my dog's food last month. She ate almost the whole 35lb bag absolutely no problem. I feed her once a day, and don't even have to worry about taking the bowl away. She eats it in minutes. She's a rottie, what I tend to call the "goldfish of dogs" they'd eat even if they're not hungry.

Since she did so well on that food (Authority Chicken Large Breed) I decided to buy her a second bag by the time she was almost done with this one (at first her poop was way too stinky, but then its back to normal). I keep the food in a dog food container because where I live, well, ants everywhere!

Problem? She's suddenly not interested in eating her kibble. She's healthy, I had her checked out. No worms, no infections. NADA. Heck I even mixed the dog food with WET dog food and she just ate around the kibble, so she does have appetite. She just won't touch that kibble anymore. At all.

It's been two days and she usually eats 4 cups of food a day. Well in 48 hours she's eaten 2 cups.

I threw out the receipt for the new bag and have absolutely not a cent more to buy anything else. And even if I did change it, I would have to go for low quality cheap food (lost my job, etc). Authority is the the most expensive thing I can afford ($35 = 35lb bag)

So what should I do? Feed her at the time I always feed and if she won't eat, take it away? I know she won't let herself starve to death, but it's annoying to see her not wanna eat it! >: (

·
Registered
13 Posts
I need some doggy mama advice:

I changed my dog's food last month. She ate almost the whole 35lb bag absolutely no problem. I feed her once a day, and don't even have to worry about taking the bowl away. She eats it in minutes. She's a rottie, what I tend to call the "goldfish of dogs" they'd eat even if they're not hungry.

Since she did so well on that food (Authority Chicken Large Breed) I decided to buy her a second bag by the time she was almost done with this one (at first her poop was way too stinky, but then its back to normal). I keep the food in a dog food container because where I live, well, ants everywhere!

Problem? She's suddenly not interested in eating her kibble. She's healthy, I had her checked out. No worms, no infections. NADA. Heck I even mixed the dog food with WET dog food and she just ate around the kibble, so she does have appetite. She just won't touch that kibble anymore. At all.

It's been two days and she usually eats 4 cups of food a day. Well in 48 hours she's eaten 2 cups.

I threw out the receipt for the new bag and have absolutely not a cent more to buy anything else. And even if I did change it, I would have to go for low quality cheap food (lost my job, etc). Authority is the the most expensive thing I can afford ($35 = 35lb bag)

So what should I do? Feed her at the time I always feed and if she won't eat, take it away? I know she won't let herself starve to death, but it's annoying to see her not wanna eat it! >: (
Yep! That's what I would do! I have done that.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
If you just opened a new bag and she won't eat it, I would suspect something is wrong with that bag. I think Petsmart will take returns even without a receipt, especially if you think there's something wrong.

Or is it that she won't eat the rest of the old bag? Might be stale. In that case, try opening the new bag and see what she thinks.

If you're SURE nothing is wrong with the food, well, that's the meal, if she doesn't want to eat it, tough.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
My dog went through a jag of refusing to eat his kibble when he was an older puppy (like 7-8 months-ish?). It went from him devouring his food, and feeding him exclusively out of toys or a kibble at a time for commands to slow him down, to having him walk away from a bowl of food and barely nibble all day. He would still take treats no problem, but we were not playing the picky dog game! We offered his meals, if he ate he ate, if not, well the food went away again! One day he just snapped out of it, and has been back to eating his meals out of toys and things and wolfing down anything he's offered. I have no idea what happened, the food didn't change, he was healthy, he just decided he wasn't going to eat kibble anymore.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you just opened a new bag and she won't eat it, I would suspect something is wrong with that bag. I think Petsmart will take returns even without a receipt, especially if you think there's something wrong.
And if something is wrong with the food, you'll be glad she didn't eat it. Sometimes manufacturers reformulate--change their recipe--without making it obvious to the consumer. My former Golden Retriever had a sensitive digestive system. We always had to phase in a new food very gradually. On time, the manufacturer of his kibble changed its formula, and we ended up with diahrrea for a week before we figured out what had happened and transitioned him onto something else. Months later I was discussing kibble with the pet store manager and the subject came up. He told me to be sure to bring back any food if there is ever any similar problem. I appreciate their standing by the products they sell.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Could definitely be something up with that one bag. It's a good idea to trust the dog!

Not long ago, I gave Casper his morning meal of Acana and he wouldn't eat it. He picked out a couple of kibbles, chewed them a bit, then spit them on the floor. He was acting mildly uncomfortable and lethargic, so I thought maybe he had a stomachache or something. I waited until evening and gave him some of Crystal's TotW instead, and he devoured it. Next morning, same thing; he didn't want the Acana. I kept feeding him TotW for a few days, then decided to try the Acana again just in case something else had cause the stomach issues (he'd had some banana and a new brand of grain-free treats the night before his first issues). He ate the Acana, but had diarrhea about seven hours later. I tossed that bag and got him a new bag (also Acana, different formula) and he's been totally fine since.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or is it that she won't eat the rest of the old bag? Might be stale. In that case, try opening the new bag and see what she thinks.

If you're SURE nothing is wrong with the food, well, that's the meal, if she doesn't want to eat it, tough.
Yeah it's the food from the old bag. I think I'll just open the new one and see if she'll have at it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could definitely be something up with that one bag. It's a good idea to trust the dog!

Not long ago, I gave Casper his morning meal of Acana and he wouldn't eat it. He picked out a couple of kibbles, chewed them a bit, then spit them on the floor. He was acting mildly uncomfortable and lethargic, so I thought maybe he had a stomachache or something. I waited until evening and gave him some of Crystal's TotW instead, and he devoured it. Next morning, same thing; he didn't want the Acana. I kept feeding him TotW for a few days, then decided to try the Acana again just in case something else had cause the stomach issues (he'd had some banana and a new brand of grain-free treats the night before his first issues). He ate the Acana, but had diarrhea about seven hours later. I tossed that bag and got him a new bag (also Acana, different formula) and he's been totally fine since.
If she doesn't eat the new bag of food I'll assume something might be wrong, cuz the food she isn't eating is the old one, which only brings me to think that it might be stale like someone suggested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts