Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my pup is a small pup, they are prone to low blood sugar, so eating IS very important. Well I've been to the vet three times already because my dog just won't eat. I've bought two types of dry food and one canned and nada. What gets me MORE mad is that when she gets offered food at the clinic, she eats it all up like she hasn't had food in a million years.

The vet already ruled out ANY medical problems. There is no medical reason to WHY she isn't eating.

Now, some of you might be thinking "Don't worry about it, she won't starve herself!" But unfortunately, she IS. She's already had TWO hypoglycemic shocks (like epileptic attacks) because of not eating enough. She is literally endangering herself over not eating. She also isn't drinking water (no food, no thirst -.-) and again, at the clinic? She drinks fine, it's driving me mental!

What in the world can I give this darn pup to make her eat!

Update
1/23/15

She's eating and feeling well! I still have no medical clue as to WHY she wasn't eating yesterday, she got dewormed again just in case and only one worm came out, but this morning she woke up happy, energized, not dizzy at all and I had to do nothing to encourage her to eat her kibble :) Thanks for all your advice and worry!

Broth? NOPE. Canned food? NOPE. Mixed broth with dry food? NOPE. Mixed broth with wet food? NOPE!

My last effort will probably be just buy her some puppy milk and offer that -.- She was taken from her mother way too young to begin with (rescue case, she's 7 weeks old now), but I offer her my pinky and she doesn't suck, she's completely weaned :\ And she doesn't like eating dry food that's moist either x.x

I never thought I'd see the day where a dog chooses to starve itself to death...

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
How old is this puppy?
If you know she was taken from her Mother too young than no, she probably wasn't weaned properly - whether or not she'll suck on your finger is irrelevant.

What food is the vet giving her? Have you tried buying that?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's 7 weeks old now, the vet told me that her not sucking on my finger probably means I'll have a hard time getting her to drink the milk and will probably have to syringe feed (which I know how to, just wouldn't like to).

He gave her Prescription Diet a/d, which I took home with me, the very can he offered her food from, and nope. Not a lick. Not a stare, nothing. She DID drink some water at least, after I gave her some Nutri-Cal and pancake syrup because she got very dizzy again :\

I'm starting to think Nutri-Cal tastes so good and getting it every day (instructed by vet, 2 ccs a day) she doesn't WANT anything else, because Nutri-Cal she eats with delight.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Yeah, try to give her actual high-protein food and keep the Nutri-Cal for emergencies. The sugar makes their blood sugar spike then crash and you want to keep it steady. At least that's how it works with ferrets and I'm going to figure a ferret-sized dog is just about the same :p. Force the a/d if you have to, or try some canned food that might be yummier like some cheap junk (Cesar or whatever). Or meat baby food (make sure it doesn't have onion or garlic powder). Or just boil up some meat and see if she likes that. Anything to get real food into her. At her size and age you can't afford to wait. Mixing puppy formula with food would be fine for extra nutrition but I wouldn't give formula exclusively.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking she's more hamster like than ferret xD

Forcing the a/d is harder than I thought, she clamps that mouth shut like no ones business, I'm gonna have to syringe it (I was trying to just put it on the tongue and her forced to eat it since it's more of an instinct to swallow than throw out) and yeah Im actually planning on going to get the cheapest wet dog food I can find and see if that gets her going.

Honestly Im super pro good quality food, but when she isn't eating at all? Go ahead and eat the mcdonalds version of dog food lol Maybe all the fake ingredients and sugar will get her going for it.

My next step will be the boiling meat, my LAST resort will be the milk for sure.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My daughter has a Yorkie and I have to take it's collar off when he eats because he got freaked out when his collar clinked against the dog bowl and he won't eat. Have you tried feeding her in something different or from your hand?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My daughter has a Yorkie and I have to take it's collar off when he eats because he got freaked out when his collar clinked against the dog bowl and he won't eat. Have you tried feeding her in something different or from your hand?
Yup! Hand, floor, different bowl, paper towel, the works. I'm getting a nice dose of junk food (ol Roy) wet food, see if that makes her wanna eat!

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I had a dog like that, too! her collar clinked on her bowl one time when she was a pup and she would never eat or drink from a metal bowl again :/

As far as the canned food, have you tried maybe making a kind of paste out of it and syringe feeding her with it, like you do the nutrical? or maybe since she likes the nurti cal, mix it with a little canned food and see if she will eat it? sorry but those are my only suggestions, I have never had a dog not eat with the "tough love" approach, though if you have caved to her in the past, she might hold out longer because she knows you will cave.

That being said, Have you tried NOT caving, no matter how long it is and see if you can win the battle or wills? My female, Josefina as a puppy went through this, she also went into "shock" from not having enough food, I also did the same thing, I worried, toiled, and changed foods, etc. What finally helped was when I STOPPED giving in to her when she would go off her food ... now she eats whats in front of her, because she knows she gets 15 minutes to eat and if she doesnt finish it then, it gets taken up and one of the other dogs gets it LOL

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a dog like that, too! her collar clinked on her bowl one time when she was a pup and she would never eat or drink from a metal bowl again :/

As far as the canned food, have you tried maybe making a kind of paste out of it and syringe feeding her with it, like you do the nutrical? or maybe since she likes the nurti cal, mix it with a little canned food and see if she will eat it? sorry but those are my only suggestions, I have never had a dog not eat with the "tough love" approach, though if you have caved to her in the past, she might hold out longer because she knows you will cave.

That being said, Have you tried NOT caving, no matter how long it is and see if you can win the battle or wills? My female, Josefina as a puppy went through this, she also went into "shock" from not having enough food, I also did the same thing, I worried, toiled, and changed foods, etc. What finally helped was when I STOPPED giving in to her when she would go off her food ... now she eats whats in front of her, because she knows she gets 15 minutes to eat and if she doesnt finish it then, it gets taken up and one of the other dogs gets it LOL
I havent tried mixing it with nutri-cal, but if she doesn't eat the junk food I WILL puree it and syringe feed, for sure, three times a day.

As to your other suggestion, it isn't an option. She's too unhealthy to try that, even the vet (who knows me personally and knows I'd do it) said he was against it in case I was thinking about it. Every single morning she wakes up terribly dizzy (very disoriented, head bobbing, unable to control her movements) until she has a dose of nutri-cal and pancake syrup. This time it was just worse for being without proper nutrition for so long. Her back legs didn't function, she peed herself, she cried out in loudly and lost consciousness. It isn't something that, in a half a pound Chihuahua (yes, 8 oz), should be attempted at all. For a stronger pup, I'd do it, in fact I HAVE done it, my rott pup (I miss her ;-;) stopped eating for like a week, refused the new food (even with the slow intro) and I was like HAH, letsee who wins. Obviously I did lol

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I havent tried mixing it with nutri-cal, but if she doesn't eat the junk food I WILL puree it and syringe feed, for sure, three times a day.

As to your other suggestion, it isn't an option. She's too unhealthy to try that, even the vet (who knows me personally and knows I'd do it) said he was against it in case I was thinking about it. Every single morning she wakes up terribly dizzy (very disoriented, head bobbing, unable to control her movements) until she has a dose of nutri-cal and pancake syrup. This time it was just worse for being without proper nutrition for so long. Her back legs didn't function, she peed herself, she cried out in loudly and lost consciousness. It isn't something that, in a half a pound Chihuahua (yes, 8 oz), should be attempted at all. For a stronger pup, I'd do it, in fact I HAVE done it, my rott pup (I miss her ;-;) stopped eating for like a week, refused the new food (even with the slow intro) and I was like HAH, letsee who wins. Obviously I did lol
Maybe try a better kind of food, what brand (if you dont mind saying) is your brand you call "cheap"? I personally feed a brand called Merrick, they make a grain free line of dry and wet food and even the super picky 14 year old JRT with the nerve damage in his jaw from a rattle snake strike to the head will eat it LOL. Perhaps she is just too ill to eat by herself and you will just have to force feed her until she gets stronger? Like, she is ill so she just doesnt have an appetite?

I would check out www.dogfoodadvisor.com for some references on the different brands of wet and dry foods ... good luck!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe try a better kind of food, what brand (if you dont mind saying) is your brand you call "cheap"? I personally feed a brand called Merrick, they make a grain free line of dry and wet food and even the super picky 14 year old JRT with the nerve damage in his jaw from a rattle snake strike to the head will eat it LOL. Perhaps she is just too ill to eat by herself and you will just have to force feed her until she gets stronger? Like, she is ill so she just doesnt have an appetite?

I would check out www.dogfoodadvisor.com for some references on the different brands of wet and dry foods ... good luck!
I have tried: Authority, Castor and Pollux, Blue, Royal Canin, Prescription Diet and now finally after desperation I went the real cheap junk food Ol' Roy and NONE of those interested her. At all. Wet, dry, soaked kibble (in CHICKEN BROTH), nada.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
if she wakes up wobbly, try giving just enough sugar to get her to be able to swallow and then try to get something like chicken baby food into her. . .really, giving the sugar on a regular basis can cause some nasty issues, try for some protein to keep blood glucose from spiking. She may feel crummy from unstable blood sugar; it's a terrible feeling. The sugar is necessary to bring her out of an episode but try not to overdo it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if she wakes up wobbly, try giving just enough sugar to get her to be able to swallow and then try to get something like chicken baby food into her. . .really, giving the sugar on a regular basis can cause some nasty issues, try for some protein to keep blood glucose from spiking. She may feel crummy from unstable blood sugar; it's a terrible feeling. The sugar is necessary to bring her out of an episode but try not to overdo it.
I've been trying to not to overdo it, but she won't ingest absolutely anything else :\ She literally will not eat, at all, and I've already tried baby food, doesn't work either. She won't look at it. She nibbles at things and then goes on her merry way, falls asleep, wakes up feeling like poop, rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After today's battle I've decided to just syringe feed her, she's at a point where she's completely pale and can barely function without going into a low sugar shock. Vet said that unless I feed TODAY, she'll have to go to clinic for stay, which isn't good because the clinic is full of parvo cases and many healthy ones are getting sick x.x

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I have tried: Authority, Castor and Pollux, Blue, Royal Canin, Prescription Diet and now finally after desperation I went the real cheap junk food Ol' Roy and NONE of those interested her. At all. Wet, dry, soaked kibble (in CHICKEN BROTH), nada.
Huh! the only one of those you listed that I would feed is castor and pollux, have you tried like beef or duck instead of chicken or turkey? Though I dont think this is a pickiness issue I just think she feels crummy and doesnt want to eat :(, I would for now, just puree it in a syringe and feet it to her, also when you open a can, you cant refridgerate the remaining stuff in the can it came in, even with one of those can covers they make, the food will go bad, you have to get it out and into a tupperware container. I have a small round one that I use especially for the old man's dog food (he gets half a big can).

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Huh! the only one of those you listed that I would feed is castor and pollux, have you tried like beef or duck instead of chicken or turkey? Though I dont think this is a pickiness issue I just think she feels crummy and doesnt want to eat :(, I would for now, just puree it in a syringe and feet it to her, also when you open a can, you cant refridgerate the remaining stuff in the can it came in, even with one of those can covers they make, the food will go bad, you have to get it out and into a tupperware container. I have a small round one that I use especially for the old man's dog food (he gets half a big can).
Oh I didn't even THINK about removing it from the can, Im in such a panic Im not thinking well. For now she NIBBLED on the Prescription Diet, I'm going to stop giving it attention and just let her do her thing, I'll give a TINY bit of nutri-cal if she goes into shock again, and completely stop the 2ccs the vet suggested I give her daily. She has a couple of hours of me ignoring her to see if she eats, tonight though, syringe time.

Im also going to stop offering any other types of food. Prescription Diet Wet food for now and only. Too much change isn't a good thing either.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Oh I didn't even THINK about removing it from the can, Im in such a panic Im not thinking well. For now she NIBBLED on the Prescription Diet, I'm going to stop giving it attention and just let her do her thing, I'll give a TINY bit of nutri-cal if she goes into shock again, and completely stop the 2ccs the vet suggested I give her daily. She has a couple of hours of me ignoring her to see if she eats, tonight though, syringe time.

Im also going to stop offering any other types of food. Prescription Diet Wet food for now and only. Too much change isn't a good thing either.
That might be some of the reason she isnt eating it, it spoils really quick when left in the can, you can also buy the smaller cans, so there isnt as much wasted.

I see your siggy ... she sure is cute, I hope she gets better soon!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That might be some of the reason she isnt eating it, it spoils really quick when left in the can, you can also buy the smaller cans, so there isnt as much wasted.

I see your siggy ... she sure is cute, I hope she gets better soon!
The spoiling isn't the reason though, because she wont eat the food fresh from the can, and I just throw away the can after she decides not to eat it, I dont offer them again from the same can, cuz all the cans were super small (sample size from the vet). Today though, I bought a few more cans of Prescription Diet, so when I open them I know what to do with them. Thank you!

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
The spoiling isn't the reason though, because she wont eat the food fresh from the can, and I just throw away the can after she decides not to eat it, I dont offer them again from the same can, cuz all the cans were super small (sample size from the vet). Today though, I bought a few more cans of Prescription Diet, so when I open them I know what to do with them. Thank you!
No problem, I hope she is better soon, and I think her pickiness might be just that she feels crummy, poor gal :( I would ask the vet if probiotics would help her, my puppy gets probiotics in his food every night. because he was getting bouts of cannon butt (diarrhea) and it really helped him! Also, for sake of price, baby food (which is already puree'd) might be a better choice, since it might be easier to liquify than say ... canned food.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No problem, I hope she is better soon, and I think her pickiness might be just that she feels crummy, poor gal :( I would ask the vet if probiotics would help her, my puppy gets probiotics in his food every night. because he was getting bouts of cannon butt (diarrhea) and it really helped him! Also, for sake of price, baby food (which is already puree'd) might be a better choice, since it might be easier to liquify than say ... canned food.
Yeah Ill probably see if I can find organic baby food for sure. But as an UPDATE

After a MASSIVE poop (not diarrhea tho) she went for more of the canned food. For sure it isn't pickiness I'm agreeing you guys, she just feels too sick to eat, which ironically makes her sicker! So close eye, syringe feed this can and maybe by tomorrow she'll feel better enough

1 - 20 of 37 Posts