Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I have tried several different dog foods with Candy including Innova, Purina, and several others I can't remember the name of. I still have not found a food that she will eat. I have tried doing the put food down for only 10 minutes and that didn't work either. I was wondering if anyone knew of maybe a good canned food I might be able to give her and try that. She seems not to be interested in dry food.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Orijen, Chicken Soup, Innova, EVO, California Natural, Wellness, Nature's Variety, all make canned foods. Have you tried putting some warm water in the kibble and mixing it up so it's gravy-like? For how long did you try the "put down the bowl for 10 minutes" thing?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't thought about adding water I will try that. But I tried the 10 minute thing for about 2 weeks till I finally gave up on it and just let her pick at her food. She is older now so I could try it again and possibly get different results.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Have you taken her to the vet? A dog who will not eat anything for two weeks worries me.

·
Registered
714 Posts
my husky koozie will sometimes go a day without eating. we have recently switched their food to evo and have implimented the 10 min rule with feeding. sometimes he eats and sometimes he doesnt.
granted he is a husky and they are known for being odd eaters. just to see if it was us not giving him enough time to eat, we've left his bowl down all day and still nothing. on days he doesnt want to eat, he will also not want to eat his treats if we give him one, he will spit it out or just slowly pick at it.
but he isnt losing weight and is healthy ( just had his yearly visit yesterday). but since we've had him for over year, we know its just him.

so if it is odd or unusual the first thing to do would be talk to your vet. maybe even try a better quality food so that way when she does eat, shes getting what she needs ( one of the reasons we switched to evo). but the vet would be my first go to!

i know merrick puppy food, if you add water makes a gravey. our husky pup, keno, loves it. maybe try going back to puppy food, so shes getting the good fats and stuff thats in it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I also feed with the 10 minute rule, or gets put away. Since I break the meals into 3 per day, I usually get him to eat at least one, but very time consuming playing the "please eat game". Can't leave out since eats can, kibble and some meat. He's really not interested in plain kibble, or I'd just scoop and leave it there. Would love to find something, besides kibble, that can be left out for hours. I go out of my way to get him to eat or a bile episode would occur.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've been doing the 10 minute rule with Ruby -- and what a pain it's been. She has an iron will and was getting pretty thin.

I got some Wellness puppy food (canned) and she will eat that -- at least she did tonight. She has a habit of not eating something after the first time.

She hates kibble, i've tried so many kinds but she just doesn't care for it.

Eventually, I'd like her to eat raw, but she's having a hard time with that, too, as the bones have made her vomit and she's afraid of it now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My poodle is very picky too, I bought Orijen the fish one and my dog liked the fishy smell I guess cause it's strong and my cats we're diggin in too! It is high in protein though and if your dog is a couch potato it might be a bit to much for it....may also try something with duck as a first ingredient. If you're dog is a good weight (not withering away) then i wouldn't worry too much about it. I had a dobermann that would only eat every other day weird eh? We spent an arm and leg on tests for her and nothing was wrong...just wasn't a big eater. good luck

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
The foods you have tried, do they all have multiple protein sources or an ingredient in common? I ask because I read in some training book, I think one of the Patricia McConnells, that sometimes a particular ingredient might not agree with a dog. If they dog can tell that a food has that ingredient they might not eat it because they know it will upset their tummy. Does that make sense? I don't know if it's true, but maybe you should try some limited ingredient foods and see if that helps.

Otherwise it sounds like a trip to the vet may be in order. Good luck, hope you find a solution!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I do feed single source protein and limited ingredent food. He ate it fine for 6 months, not sure if tired of it or just being fussy. He always had a sensitive stomach, so can't go and just switch to a random food to get him to eat. Had one meal this morning, maybe he doesn't want as many meals as I've been feeding him.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When you starting adding stuff to kibble, it gets hard going back to just plain kibble.

I use this Halo brand powder.

Also, adding canned food helped me. Finding the right one will take time and money, just do it.

Or get Natural Balance food rolls.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts