Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I had a question regarding dogs swallowing food whole. My Shih Tzu prefers to not chew his food most of the time. The kibbles are quite small, but I would like to receive some feedback on whether or not it's safe for him to do this. He has no problems with his teeth, nor does he eat it in an aggressive way, he's probably just a lazy bugger, ha. Any replies would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi there,

I had a question regarding dogs swallowing food whole. My Shih Tzu prefers to not chew his food most of the time. The kibbles are quite small, but I would like to receive some feedback on whether or not it's safe for him to do this. He has no problems with his teeth, nor does he eat it in an aggressive way, he's probably just a lazy bugger, ha. Any replies would be much appreciated!
If it is a question of swallowing too fast you might try to place some really, big, big stones (far too big to swallow) clean rocks / stones in the bowl 'forcing' the dog to eat around them.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Dogs are not designed to chew food. They are designed to chew off hunks of meat and bone and swallow them. They have no chewing/grinding teeth. Most dogs swallow kibble whole.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Dogs jaws aren't designed to move sideways like ours, so they can't really chew. Kibble goes down whole. Is he gulping and inhaling it so you're worried about choking? If he's eating nicely he's fine, dogs just can't chew very well :)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
My dogs (and cats) don't chew their kibble either. It's nothing really to worry about unless he's inhaling the food very quickly and almost choking. As stated above, dogs aren't designed to chew their food into tiny pieces to swallow. They simply chew/bite off chunks which are able to be swallowed comfortably.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts