Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is probably just me having a little freak out... and I'll probably be fine in a few hours...

But seriously, how much is enough exercise for a 5 year old BC mix? Just so I have a known target (sorry, ADHD, so I tend to need specific numbers to keep my confidence). Right now, we're walking an hour a day. He's still pretty shy, not too concerned with toys yet. He just wants to be with a human, not necessarily paying attention to the human, just in the same room...

is an hour walk enough to tide him over?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Does an hour seem to tire him out? It's hard to say a specific number without knowing the dog in question. If he seems tired and isn't acting our or being destructive, then I would say you've got a good number. If he seems like he's got more energy than he knows what to do with, then I would add more exercise (or more training, for mental exhaustion).

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think a target amount of exercise varies by dog. At 5, my malamute mix was happy moving from the couch to his bowl and back. I'd take him for a walk in the morning, but when I'd try in the evening he'd see me go for the leash and he'd curl up in a ball on the sofa and alligator roll when I'd try to find his collar in all that fur. My lab/aussie mix is 10 months, and he gets a 45 minute walk in the morning, another hour in the evening, about 20 minutes of fetch, 20 minutes of training, and the dog parks on the weekends. I suspect he'd be just as happy with double that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. He isn't being destructive at all, he's being a wonderful little gentleman! Don't you think it would be easier to encourage good behavior as opposed to correcting bad behavior? He's gotten such a fantastic start, just want all of us to be happy and stay happy. :)

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
It is always much better to encourage good behavior ... and to anticipate and prevent opportunities for bad behavior.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts